Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:15:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta Spider  (Read 7860 times)
alcarr

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 18, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »

Hello
I have bought a 1977 Beta Spider recently, but I do have a problem the rev counter passed away on the test drive and it seems that replacements are hard to find. The garage have sent the unit to a restorers and I await the outcome. I would appreciate any clues as to the possible supplier of a replacement unit just as a backup for the restored one.

Regards Alan
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:05:52 AM »

Welcome along.

I have a spare from a 78 spider (pre face lift) should yours turn out not to be repairable.

Some pictures of the Sider would be nice to see!

Stuart

Edit  - which bit of Essex? I'm in Bury in Suffolk
alcarr

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »

Hello HF

It is on Richard Thorne's website at present, with luck the rev counter problem will be resolved soon, to some people I'm a geezer from Romford or as the locals prefer Gidea Park don't you know.

Alan
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »

That looks very straight - it's even got the right headlamps which is a rarity  - same colour as mine too.

About the only non original bit I can see at a quick glance is the door mirror - and it's possible the door cards might have been retrimmed.

Otherwise that one of the tidiest I've seen - and a better bet IMHO than the black 82 face lift model he's got.
smithymc

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »

Looks very nice I must say.

On the rev counter front, it looks the same dash 'pod' as my coupe and the rev- counter on mine has been a bit fussy too. It didn't work at all when I got it, then it was a bit hit and miss, but now it works fine( touch wood!)- I suspect either the multi plug on the rear or some break in the copper circuit board. I would be interested to know what the final diagnosis is.

Mark
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

That looks very straight - it's even got the right headlamps which is a rarity  - same colour as mine too.

About the only non original bit I can see at a quick glance is the door mirror - and it's possible the door cards might have been retrimmed.

Otherwise that one of the tidiest I've seen - and a better bet IMHO than the black 82 face lift model he's got.

Hi Alan

Have to agree with Stuart, very tidy looking car from the pics, hopefully Richard Thorne's reputation in the Lancia world means it is pretty solid underneath as well. Particularly like the look of the engine bay, has it had a recent full respray?

The door cards appear to work well from the blurry pics and I guess were from later car as have the inbuilt speakers or were they an option?

The one amazing part of the car are the seats which usually are nowhere near as tidy as that on the early ones.

As to door mirrors, suspect they may be original flat type which have been painted? Though more likely to be later add-on when originals went loose/broken.

If the pics live up to the reality, then the price is about right assuming you do not have much work to do to it for the near future, some of us have spent a lot more and still do not have a car on the road.....

Peter
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:55:18 AM by peteracs » Logged

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
alcarr

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »

Hello Stuart,
Well the verdict back from Richard Thorne's is that the restorer is unable to get the rev counter to work, it appears to be a problem with the printed circuit, so if possible I would like to take you up on the '78 instrument. I will keep the defective one in case I track down a company who can fix it.
So if you would like to contact me regarding price and delivery, please do. Thank you all for your comments re the Spider, I suppose I should have enlisted your help before buying, but I drove it and for me that was enough (not very technical). I did think about the black one but I didn't get a chance to drive it, so maybe it was meant to be. I would just like to get it home

Alan
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »

Hello Stuart,
Well the verdict back from Richard Thorne's is that the restorer is unable to get the rev counter to work, it appears to be a problem with the printed circuit, so if possible I would like to take you up on the '78 instrument. I will keep the defective one in case I track down a company who can fix it.
So if you would like to contact me regarding price and delivery, please do. Thank you all for your comments re the Spider, I suppose I should have enlisted your help before buying, but I drove it and for me that was enough (not very technical). I did think about the black one but I didn't get a chance to drive it, so maybe it was meant to be. I would just like to get it home

Alan

Hi Alan

Did the restorer say what was wrong?

Personally, I think you made a good choice, always thought black for sports cars was not the best choice, also I prefer the pre facelift interiors.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
alcarr

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »

The word from Richard Thorne's chief was that the restorers tried a Lucas board but could not get the rev counter to work, but as I said before the defective one is worth keeping just in case and you never know the actual act of removing and replacing the gauge might bring it back to life!

Alan
alcarr

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »

So now I am the proud owner of a white Beta Spider, I would like to thank all your posts regarding this, especially to Stuart who took a lot of time out on Saturday to give the car "the once over" and this was without any breakfast! The general opinion is that it is a good solid car, there are a few issues as well as the non working rev counter, but what a dream to drive! Today Sunday 9th was glorious in Essex so the Targa top and the soft top were down, so immediately a non locking passenger door needs to be put right and a cam belt cover needs to be hunted down.

Regards Alan
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

http://www.subito.it/pp/ricambi-lancia-sebastianociao-358498.htm
swedgamma

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:04:58 PM »

Hi!!

If you still need a rev counter I have new ones (NOS)!

Greetings from Sweden

Urban (swedgamma)
alcarr

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »

Hello Urban

I am interested in a replacement rev counter for the 1977 Beta, maybe you would like to contact me to talk about price and delivery.

Regards Alan

swedgamma

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

Hello!
Some years ago I bought a decent stock of Beta parts,mainly for my own use.Undeniably theres a lot of it,I think there is more than 150 cigarette lighters!!!!
I´m in no way any businessman,but I gladly,if time allows, share parts with fellow Lancisti!I´m located in Sweden so postage for heavier things I suspect may be substancial.I´ll have a check for a tach today and come back to you!

Greetings

Urban Mattsson(swedgamma)
swedgamma

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »

Hello,Alan!
I checked into the books,77s can have both Veglia Borletti and Jaeger instruments and as it seems,maybe,its a bit unclear, also the "whitefaced" ones.
The Veglia and Jeager signs are on the fascia of both.Can you please check which one will fit yours!

Cheers

Urban
alcarr

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 11:12:02 PM »

Hello Urban

My instruments are black faced Veglia

Regards Alan
alcarr

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »

Hello all, well I picked up the rev counter pod from Stuart and I have received a pristine one from Urban in Sweden, so in the near future I will do some investigating. I did have a passenger door that would not lock so last Sunday I had some time before I had to go out the door card came off rather easily and I couldn't see anything obvious that was broken or not connected so I gave everything a generous spray of WD40 and was set to leave it, I tried the key one more time and low and behold it locked!

I was surprised to see the white opaque plastic sheet was still intact. I intend to get some underseal spray and treat the doors, it just leaves a cam belt cover for a 2 litre engine also Stuart noticed that the headlamp cover is a  European one which means that it dips the wrong way. I am very pleased with it and as Stuart gave it a general thumbs up I am more than happy.

Alan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: