Lancia Beta Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:34:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 11272 times)
speedyK

« on: September 20, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »

A search didn't turn up anything, so maybe no-one has ever discussed the spark plugs.

My Beta Spider 2000 has Champion N 7 Y C plugs fitted.

Are these the best?

Are there any others that are as good (or better)?

I need some new ones and thought I might as well ask here Smiley
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »

NGK BPR6 or Champion RN7Y should both be fine.
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »

I avoid any with an "R" in the number as that's resistor for suppression and there's already enough resistive suppression in the spark plug leads and possibly in the rotor arm. I'm not sure if all Betas are the same but my Trevi has a 9V coil with ballast resistor but no bypass of the ballast while cranking the engine so a strong spark is needed for a quick and easy start. Having resistors in the plugs will probably just push it over the edge and not start on cold damp mornings.

I find Champion spark plugs are very good and would try and get N6Y plugs for the twincam but as not readily available any longer N7Y is a good alternative. BP8ES in NGK spark plugs will also be a good alternative but they are even more difficult to get hold of than Champion N6Y.

In both my twincams (Trevi and Fiat 131) I have fitted Bosch multi-electrode Super-4 W56 plugs and found them to be very good indeed.

Theo Kyriacou
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »

I've got to say I've always used the R type and I've never had any starting problems with them whether running points or electronic on the Spiders.
cheeky monkey

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »

Hi SpeedyK

i get NGK BP6E.

There is a BP6E VG i've had if the former is not available.  The VG (V Grooved) version has a cut in the top of electrode, which NGK says makes the spark occur on the outer edge of the electrode where it is easier to ignite the fuel/air mix and the voltage required to produce spark is less (?). I'd like to test that. I didn't notice any difference in the lifetime of the plug.

cheers
G

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

I used to find the BYC variation of the champions very good, triple electrode as fitted to various turbo lancias
speedyK

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »

Thanks for all the input so far!

Can't find any Champion plugs here in Switzerland - neither in stores nor online!  Sad
All that I've found in stores is Bosch plugs - but naturally not the ones suggested by Bosch as being suitable for my Spider 2000!  Undecided

Online, I've found the NGK BP8ES - and also found the NGK  BP6ES (which is also listed as being suitable for my car).

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these NGK plugs is?
Anyone running either of them in a Beta 2000 (carb. version) who can confirm that they are OK.

Any help appreciated Smiley
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »

Plugs are designed to run hotter or colder the idea being to get them in an optimal temperature range in any given  installation. This means they don't foul up (too cold) or cause detonation (too hot)

For NGK a higher number means a plug that runs colder.  So if the Beta is designed to run a BP6xxx then a BP8xxx will run colder and may foul.  At least that's better than causing detonation!

General wisdom used to be to run a colder plug than standard on a tuned engine - I don't know if that's still the case.
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:37:35 AM »

Plugs are designed to run hotter or colder the idea being to get them in an optimal temperature range in any given  installation. This means they don't foul up (too cold) or cause detonation (too hot)

For NGK a higher number means a plug that runs colder.  So if the Beta is designed to run a BP6xxx then a BP8xxx will run colder and may foul.  At least that's better than causing detonation!

General wisdom used to be to run a colder plug than standard on a tuned engine - I don't know if that's still the case.

I'd agree with all of the above. The BP8ES is considered to be a "racing" plug and would be ideal for a modified or force charged (turbo or compressor) engine. If your car engine is in standard tune then I'd suggest you fit the BP6ES which is the plug listed for your engine.

Theo Kyriacou
speedyK

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »

I've been able to find some Champion N7YC plugs now - which I know work.
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »

I'd say the Champion N7YC (copper core) plug is better for your car than the NGK BP6ES so good choice to use what you've tried and are happy with.

Theo Kyriacou
thecolonel
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »

I run 8's in the gamma (slightly tuned)
colder plugs will dissipate more heat away
from the combustion chamber, although
they can soot up in slow traffic.

[ more suitable for the hooligan element ]
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »

OK Chaps the tuned perspective.

I use NGK BR8EIX however I am running a 200 BHP engine on throttle bodies. These are Iridium plugs which give a cleaner more consistent spark in harsh conditions and have a very long life. They are 2 grades colder than standard Beta which would be BR6EIX. They are have resistance which is essential for the use of any electronics on the car particularly ECUs or rev limiters.

For Beta IE and VX I would go BR7EIX only moving up to 8 grade for significant tuning. For race use BR9EIX are the safe choice but they soot up on the road causing mis-fires

Eric
BTW Iridium has now largerly replaced EGV (gold valadium) for performance spark plugs   
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »

I have a pack of NGK BCP6ES. Will these fit/be suitable on a standard 1300 engine?
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

I have a pack of NGK BCP6ES. Will these fit/be suitable on a standard 1300 engine?

Yes, they do.
Lancia Beta 2000

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »

spark plugs for lancia beta are the
NGK BP7ES

Regards
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »

I need to replace the plugs on my 84 beta 2000 I.E. HPE.

The threads a bit old, and there are 'many' suggestions as to what might be suitable,

Has anyone got anything they'd like to add ? ( as to what might be the best kind to use )

Thanks Andrew
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:31:10 PM by Sandro » Logged

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
2005 Opel Vectra ( everyday )
JohnFol

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 11:32:48 AM »

An old thread I know but there is some good info on the different spark plugs here

I have found RNY9CC fitted to my car and if I understand the naming convention, the number relates to how hot the plug runs. General feedback seems to be standard is 7 (electronic ignition), 8 for modified engines so a 9 feels too high.

Can't easily get hold of plugs recommended by Haynes but feel I ought drop to a "7"
squiglyzigly

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 04:34:08 PM »

Take care when comparing different brands of spark plugs with their relative heat range numbering as they differ.
Some brands get colder as the number increases and others get hotter.

Ian

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
JohnFol

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2022, 04:36:26 PM »

Thanks Ian, just in time for me to change order to the NGK BP7ES as recommended earlier
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: