Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: HPE for resurrection  (Read 12085 times)
Per

Norway Norway

« on: September 19, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »

Yesterday I trailered home a 78 HPE. Initially it was thought to be a parts car, but it turned out to be much better than feared. In fact remarkably good.  I had one of these as a young lad, so looking forward to drive it.

A couple of questions then:
There is some rust around the front screen. I have not found HPE seals on the net, only coupe. But is the coupe the same?
The interior is good except the LH door card (trim). Does anybody have, or know about a source for,  a door card with brown plastic and red cloth?

BTW, will post a few pics later.

Per
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »

The Coupe and HPE screens are the same but later cars (so not yours) have a slightly smaller screen that is not bonded in. Be careful not to buy the later seal. Plenty of threads on here about removing the screen which is an awkward job.
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »

Thanks, much as suspected. BTW, none of the threads I searched mentioned it, but Lancia described the use of a primer on glass and body when replacing the screen, with six rubber pieces to get the right distance between glass and body. And the use of a really hefty jig to hold the glass in place while the sealant cured. (I kept my factory workshop manual when I sold the HPE I had in the early 80'ies.)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 06:29:07 AM »

Thanks, much as suspected. BTW, none of the threads I searched mentioned it, but Lancia described the use of a primer on glass and body when replacing the screen, with six rubber pieces to get the right distance between glass and body. And the use of a really hefty jig to hold the glass in place while the sealant cured. (I kept my factory workshop manual when I sold the HPE I had in the early 80'ies.)

Hi Per

I think you will find that modern stick in methods are pretty well established for a wired range of cars and that any competent installer will have no problem putting the windscreen back in. The original method using the wire heating system is long gone as far as I know.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »

I realise I was a bit skimpy in my reference. The WSM states that the curing happens due to the agent brushed on the glass and the body. So no heat and wire used during repairs. The manual is dated 1976. Thus even then only the factory used the heat set method.
spud

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »

I realise I was a bit skimpy in my reference. The WSM states that the curing happens due to the agent brushed on the glass and the body. So no heat and wire used during repairs. The manual is dated 1976. Thus even then only the factory used the heat set method.

This refers to the black coating on the edge of all modern screens. A windscreen fitter would apply this to the windscreen aperture on the car- the replacement screen would have this pre-applied at the factory during its manufacture. If for some reason you got a screen without this black coating around the edge then the fitter would apply that before he fitted the screen.
Looking forward to pics of your car!

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »

Awful wheels, but I have the Cromodoras too  Grin

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:37:10 PM by Per » Logged
skattrd

England England

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »

That looks very nice. I can't imagine anyone wanting to break that.
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »

I think the PO got in over his head, very young. I tracked down the PPO and he could tell me quite a lot about it. Among the things done over the past few years were poly suspension bushes, new cam belt, head gasket ++. And he thought the 57.000km (ca 35.000 miles) was genuine!
Hawk

England England

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »

Love that interior Smiley
smithymc

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »

Looks a great prospect if it is as good underneath as it looks up top- and I thought my interior was a bit bright!

Good luck!

Mark
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

Re:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »

Loving the interior. Smiley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 06:35:06 AM »

One jacking point (the protruding little structure) needs abit of welding, and at the rear of the the boot floor there is a rust hole. that is all I could find  Smiley
VXdeMayo

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »

Dear Per,
have to agree with the others, I'm loving that interior, looks like a 70's Night Club! The colour goes really well with the silver exterior. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Best,
Chas and Anne. Smiley

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:05 PM »

It will be April before I will be able to do much. I have to complete putting the engine back into one car and do a 4 to 5 speed gearbox conversion on another before the HPE gets much attention. Watch this space though  Wink
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »

Ok all, it is back on the road for a couple of months now. Still a lovely car to drive as remembered. I am amazed how smooth the engine is compared to e.g. a Lotus twin cam of any ilk. And the 1800 was even better than my 2000! Going on a multimarque rally tomorrow, weather forecast is nice and sunny, +20C. In other words a superb autumn day with sunroof open  Grin
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »

I am sad to say I had to move it on, too many cars :-(

But it went to a good home, a truly enthusiastic new owner who uses it for what it does best: Weekend jaunts to the mountains and suchlike :-)

I told him about the forum so I hope he will register.

I will continue to lurk on the forum though. I have two smaller projects to complete, one major and one huge. But who knows what will happen in the meantime?

Regards to all
Per
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 02:25:54 PM »

What goes round comes round  Cheesy

I have just bought back the HPE. Still in good condition so waiting for spring and salt-free roads.
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »

Waiting in queue it has finally received some attention. The unit with lights/indicators/wipers has been replaced. A bit of coaxing to get it running. Now clutch and cambelt replacement is due. Still a lovely car  Cheesy
LanciaDave

United States United States

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »

Bravo! That is  a nice looking car. The only thing I would change is the wheels, but that's my preference.
Good luck with her

Dave
Wilds of the Pacific NW, USA
77 HPE 1.8L manual steering
77 Sedan 2L FI
84 HPE Vx
76 Scorpion (Montecarlo) 2L w/dual 40DCNF
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: