Lancia Beta Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:27:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Left the spider out last night  (Read 7200 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: September 11, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »

Left the spider out overnight last night and it rained

* A Lancia left out in the rain 001.JPG (490.82 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 449 times.)

Rust never sleeps
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »

I'm not so sure you should jump to conclussions just yet. Look at the cat, he sure looks guilty!
(The body would make a great cat gymnasium)!

Grin Grin Grin
Best,
Chas and Anne.

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
droptop

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »

I'm not so sure you should jump to conclussions just yet. Look at the cat, he sure looks guilty!
(The body would make a great cat gymnasium)!

Grin Grin Grin
Best,
Chas and Anne.

That cat is named Pumpkin and I took him rather forcefully from two teenagers about seven years ago who had plans for him for Halloween.
He has rewarded me ever since by constantly getting into trouble and causing vet bills like the national debt of a small country (but I wouldn't swap him for anything!)
Much loke my spider in fact Grin

Rust never sleeps
gengis

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »

you'll need to get a rain cover...prevent it happening again!

p.s. you need your tracking looked at.

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
droptop

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »

you'll need to get a rain cover...prevent it happening again!

p.s. you need your tracking looked at.

I probably need my head looked at as I'm currently in negotations for another spider, a red 1979 facelift car hat has never been welded or filled as far as I can tell but is solid as a rock! Milage is well over the 100k mark which I have never encountered and aside from some work on the sills, it appears spotless with the cleanest interior I've seen and even comes with the tonneau cover, which I've never seen!
Making space for it in the garage, hence the "parts for sale" thread.

Rust never sleeps
Hawk

England England

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »

LOL at the OP.  When I took mine down to Le mans for teh Classic last year, as soon as it started raining teh guys I was travelling with started a book on when it woudl either break down or would dissolve.

Thankfully it did neither.

re the tonneau cover, I've got 2 but never use them as i think they look crap and also have a tendency to blow off
droptop

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »

LOL at the OP.  When I took mine down to Le mans for teh Classic last year, as soon as it started raining teh guys I was travelling with started a book on when it woudl either break down or would dissolve.

Thankfully it did neither.

re the tonneau cover, I've got 2 but never use them as i think they look crap and also have a tendency to blow off

Indeed, when I saw it, the fasteners didn't inspire confidence but I figured it'd reduce the drag effect of the folded down soft top.
However, the marginal gain would soon be negated by having to stop and chase the cover around the road. (Or speed away trying to look like it wasn't yours when it was wrapped around a motorcyclist's head.) 

Rust never sleeps
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »

I've got to say provided they are fastened carefully, which is a bit of a pig and creases the rear window, I've never had any poppers come undone even when testing at (ahem...) speed.
droptop

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »

I've got to say provided they are fastened carefully, which is a bit of a pig and creases the rear window, I've never had any poppers come undone even when testing at (ahem...) speed.

I don't imagine for a minute you're referring to speeds in excess of the posted limit, are you?  Wink
By the way, how fast will an unmodified 2.0 spider actually go?
I've had mine at an indicated 115 MPH which I'm sure was less in reality. Just curious mind you.
I am not an officer of the law and this is not entrapment!

Rust never sleeps
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »

I may have seen that figure on a sat nav once or twice absolutely not while surprising someone much younger in a much more modern car...That is with a slightly tweaked engine though

Both spiders I've had had speedos that are about 10% optimistic

Contemporary road tests gave the Spider a top speed of 110-114, that sounds about right given they'll do 85-90 on the first choke and have something in reserve even when just into three figure speeds.

You realise we'll get told off by the mods for this....

MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:09:59 AM »

You won't get told off by this Moderator!  Having had two "court ordered rests" from driving and having had more points than a compass, I'm in no position to tell people off for speeding.

Just don't put a video of you doing it on YouTube! Smiley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
droptop

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »

You won't get told off by this Moderator!  Having had two "court ordered rests" from driving and having had more points than a compass, I'm in no position to tell people off for speeding.

Just don't put a video of you doing it on YouTube! Smiley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sound advice there my good man. I did get the rev counter to well over 6k in 4th. coming down the straight in Mondello Park during a "parade lap" in a classic car show last June. Could have used fifth, but I love the sound echoing off the pit wall and the popping when you lift off. Thank you Mr. Lampridi!
(Next year, I hope to have brakes and go a bit quicker) Grin

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »

Is this another red cam cover enhancement or are the two unrelated....?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
VXdeMayo

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »

Don't mention red cam covers, or I might be forced to own up to drilled pedal plates!
(Worth 3-5 bhp any day of the week).

Bar Room Billy.

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
droptop

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »

Is this another red cam cover enhancement or are the two unrelated....?

Peter

No this has to do with improving my chances of slowing! May involve red high temp. lacquer but only an a failsafe in case rebuilding the rear calipers and fitting EBC greenstuff pads and new discs all round doesn't have the desired effect!
Actually, I finished my front calipers in a subtle matt blach high temp manifold paint when I rebuilt them and in reality I have no intention of painting the things red!

Rust never sleeps
droptop

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »

Don't mention red cam covers, or I might be forced to own up to drilled pedal plates!
(Worth 3-5 bhp any day of the week).

Bar Room Billy.

On the subject of pedals, I seem to have a migratory species of throttle pedal which moves laterally between the wheel well and the brake meaning that when you come off the throttle and onto the brake, you sometimes almost miss it and other times seem to catch both brake and clutch pedal depending on which direction the throttle pedal had travelled in the interim Huh?
Anyone else ever experienced this or is it another "exclusive"?

Rust never sleeps
smithymc

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 01:41:30 PM »

I could tuck the throttle behind the brake pedal on mine!

Its a common one ( as I learnt on this fine forum) . You need  a new nylon pedal pivot or a small bolt to replace the plastic lug which has sapped off in all liklihood.

Mark
droptop

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »

I could tuck the throttle behind the brake pedal on mine!

Its a common one ( as I learnt on this fine forum) . You need  a new nylon pedal pivot or a small bolt to replace the plastic lug which has sapped off in all liklihood.

Mark

I'm fitting a new clutch cable in the morning as a precaution against premature failure of my 35 year old one so while I'm doing head stands, I'll take a peek at the throttle mechanism before the dizziness sets in. (I don't "do" upside down very well. any work that involves being under the car and looking up for more than a few minutes usually results in dizziness and nausea so a fun morning in store. Strawberry jam sandwiches for breakfast then) Tongue

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »

Donkeys years ago I once saw nearly 120 on the speedo of a 1600 berlina although that's probably a real 110........I read in a book that Italian speedos were designed overread so that young Italians could massage their driving ego in relative safety !
droptop

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 08:03:51 PM »

Donkeys years ago I once saw nearly 120 on the speedo of a 1600 berlina although that's probably a real 110........I read in a book that Italian speedos were designed overread so that young Italians could massage their driving ego in relative safety !

On all my cars, I always see the speedo reading is higher by approx. 10% than that displayed on the satnav and having used a couple of different brands, I'm inclined to think the cars are all a little optomistic.
I remember clocking over 125 in a 1971 1600 GT Capri which made about 75 BHP and weighte about a ton and a half (including the four Cibies) so 10% error is almost accurate by comparison!
Whatever the top speed in real terms, it's enjoyable, loud and fun Grin

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: