Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:02:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Magnecore ignition leads  (Read 4982 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: August 27, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »

What is the consensus of opinion on the benefits or otherwise of Magnecore and similar "premium" ignition leads?
I asked this question out of curiosity on another forum with regard to whether they are worth the premium prices being asked against possible gains and I was told they can burn out coils in no time when used in standard points and condenser type systems.
This didn't really make sense to me as I imagine a broken-down old set of leads shorting out all over the place would be far more stressful to the coil, but I'm open to all arguments.
I have no quarrels with my present standard leads but I'd be happy to fit the upgraded type if in fact they would be beneficial.
My spyder is not used in harsh conditions so improved starting would not be sufficient reason alone.
Your thoughts?

Rust never sleeps
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:34:18 PM »

I have magnecor KV85 Leads on my FI VX Montecarlo and they are excellent. I also ran them on my 185 BHP Guy Croft engined Beta Spider running twin 45s and the Bosch Electronic ignition. There are a hell of a lot of poor quality HT leads around having been lashed up in China complete with badly fitting boots and poor terminals. The suggestion that leads with good interference suppression and high quality terminals and boots would cause burnt out coils is rubbish. Cheaper leads have carbon cores that breakdown with flexing and or cheap rubber insulation that breaks down plus boots that let water get at the connectors.  At least OE leads have to pass test standards so skilled folk some times cut down and re-terminate OE leads but they have the tools to do the job properly.
BTW KV85 are overkill for most Betas but other leads in the Magnecor range are also built to a high quality.

Eric
droptop

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »

Good man Mark.
I figured you'd be along with some words of wisdom.
I fitted standard Bosch leads about 3k miles ago but I'm always looking for improvements.
I finally drove the spider on the road today with the fully synthetic gear oil and the difference is noticable even when hot, but I find that cold shifting has improved beyond compare and downshifting is no longer a chore.
It feels like the car is years newer, especially without the partially siezed steering damper!

Rust never sleeps
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:45:46 PM »

Have I missed Eric changing his name by deed poll to Mark ?

Smiley

Lolol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
droptop

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:59:33 AM »

Have I missed Eric changing his name by deed poll to Mark ?

Smiley

Lolol

Again, my apologies to ERIC!
I keep caling him Mark simply because I have a relative called Mark Weston (He's a decent bloke, so no offence implied)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rust never sleeps
targa2000

England England

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »

Bought a set of the blue 8mm Magnecore leads for my 2 litre spider and they are excellent. Had some cheaper leads on before which were supposed to be of good quality, they are now in the bin!! The Magnecore are made to fit your specified engine so you don't have to end up wrapping the leads around the carb to take up the excess length as with some of the universal leads.
Tim.

* 100_1539_copy.jpg (68.23 KB, 512x384 - viewed 561 times.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:35:11 AM by targa2000 » Logged
droptop

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:26 AM »

Not inclined to fit "universal" anything as one size NEVER fits all.
The thought of wrapping a HT lead around the carb scares the crap out of me Shocked

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: