Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:51:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Volumex Fuel Injected Montecarlo  (Read 31587 times)
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 01, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »

Chaps

Some of you will know I have been battling to get a Guy Croft VX engine and Emerald computer programmed Fuel Injection into my Montecarlo. NB mine is the one next to the fountain at last years Beta Meeta at the top of the Forum. Well I have done it and the car started last night  Grin
Now I just need to make it through the Rolling Road in mid August and I can drive to some events again.

See it is real:

I look forward to using it very soon.

Cheers

Eric

* VX FI Engine Bay_Medium.JPG (124.28 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 3074 times.)
smithymc

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

That looks very tidy indeed- I clearly need to clean mine up a bit under the bonnet.

Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Mark
thecolonel
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:14 PM »

Brilliant news Eric, hope the rolling road goes well.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »

Having just got the Throttle Bodies, Emerald ECU and other associated bits for my Spider I'm glad to see it can be done! Well done Eric.
andybeta

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »

Wow. What power figures are you hoping for on the rolling road?

Shall look forward to seeing and hearing it. At which event are you planning to make it's debut?

I took the liberty of tweaking your pic.

* Eric W_VX FI Engine Bay_Medium[1]_02.jpg (160.86 KB, 410x307 - viewed 2601 times.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:11:50 PM by andybeta » Logged
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »

Andy

It should be fine for at least 200BHP and 200 Ftlbs at the wheels with a flat torque curve i.e. no lag and the power coming in from maybe as low as 1500 rpm. This should make the semi sticky rear tyres earn their money and make me smile. I am not sure which events yet as I am not making plans until after the RR a lot can go wrong!!

Cheers

Eric
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »

Chaps

A change of plans here has me installing the Volumetrico in the Montecarlo along with different cams having learnt a lot and driven the car. The Beta Spider will now be a FI VX engine making brackets and manifolds much more straight forwards and giving the front wheel drive Beta a chance to cope with the power!

See the pictures below of the Volumetrico (037 supercharger) trial fitted in the Montecarlo.

Cheers

Eric

* VMET Monte trial fit 1_Medium.JPG (108.19 KB, 1024x732 - viewed 3131 times.)

* VMET Monte trial fit 2_Medium.JPG (128.99 KB, 1024x757 - viewed 3230 times.)
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »

Excellent work Eric. I have 2 GC fettled VX motors to put together when time permits!
What cams are you using on the Volumetrico Monte?
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »

Ian

On the Monte I am using a Strada Abarth inlet cam on the exhaust side for it's short duration and higher lift and slot drive to run a cam phase sensor created from an Integrale. On the Inlet side I am using the Bayless A16 re-ground cam with short duration at 241 degrees but higher lift at 10.8 mm. This is using the experience of Bill at MacAuto who tested GC 3A and 2B combinations and other re-ground cams. This is very different to naturally aspirated as Supercharged engines do not like overlap and the 3A has a lot of overlap. Dennis in Denmark has done well with a Strada Abarth inlet and the standard VX exhaust, but this limits what is possible given the lift of this combination.

A lot of time was spent swinging the cams about with the VX on the rolling road having already tried 3A inlet and VX OE exhaust on the first rolling road session but the result was still compromised with my current Beta 2000 Inlet Strada Abarth Exhaust and not helped with a VX blower under performing at 5.5 PSI even with the smaller pulley fitted.     

On my second VX FI engine I am using 2 Bayless A16 cams as Mac Auto has in his race VX engine thread on the GC Forum. However I am also going to test some manifold deflectors (home built flow bench) to see if I can correct the dramatic imbalance in flow between number 1 and number 4 cylinder or I might have to run smaller injectors in number 3 and number 4 to balance the injection mixture! I would also need different spark plugs 7 grade in Number 4, 8 grade in Number 3 and 9 grade in Numbers 1 & 2. This is a difficult conversion so a DCOE on the front with mapped ignition is much easier, but beware the inboard manifold can still be an issue with uneven flow.

Eric
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »

Eric,

I did see Bill's post on GC's forum, interesting reading and a great result. I have a GC 3A inlet and std VX exhaust cam using DCOE. I may try a 40DCOE first as GC recommends 28mm chokes for a 45DCOE due to poor signal in the venturi. I may also try long trumpets to see if this makes a difference to reverse flow.

It seems there is still a lot of uncharted territory with the VX and cam choice. I have spotted a Beta ie that may donate its exhaust cam, I am hoping the end drive arrangement is the same as VX?

Your comments on the inboard manifold flow are interesting and confirm a suspicion I had. I may eventually re visit my idea about using a Toyota SC14 blower which I gave up on as it was too hard to adapt to the Beta inboard manifold, however I may independently mount it and use a Beta IE or some other 8v injected inlet manifold, which would cure the flow issue.

Good luck with your Monte!
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »

Ian

The end drive on the 2000 IE is the same as the VX cams and will run the VX Dizzy or a cut down Integrale Dizzy as a Cam Phase sensor for sequential injection.

Eric
lbcoupe76

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »

Wow what an awesome job, it looks like it was always meant to be there. Bet you can't wait to get it really cracking. The volumetrico does look a tad more butch in there.

1976 Beta coupe 1800 "Kermette"
1975 Beta coupe 1800 x 2
1974 Beta Berlina 1800
1989 Thema i.e turbo
1988 Thema i.e turbo
Fiat 1500

Smoke me a Kipper i'll be back for breakfast
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »

Chaps

I am heading to the Rolling Road with this next week if I can get it all back together. Finishing the outboard manifold has been a big step forward. I though I would add some pictures. NB I am using a pair of Strada Abarth cams as the lift profile of the bayless cams is not 10.8mm more like 10.2mm in the current stock.

Here's hoping some of you get to see and hear this car soon.

Eric

* VMET Outboard Manifold 1_Medium.JPG (94.84 KB, 1024x750 - viewed 2491 times.)

* VMET FI Fusebox and outboard manifold_Medium.JPG (120.68 KB, 1024x719 - viewed 2596 times.)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »

Guys

I have managed to get the VMET Montecarlo up and running and have driven it up and down the Brecon Beacons for a lot of the weekend and it is Quick. By which I mean I can stay with an Alfa 24V V6 in an X19 without going over 4000 RPM. This is totally different to drive than a normal Beta being more like a turbine and a breeze to just drive past slower vehicles. I am pleased it was dry in Wales!

I now have to fix all the issues a shakedown like this shows up then I can crack on with more fun driving and finishing the Beta Spider FI VX.

Cheers

Eric
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »

Excellent news Eric!! keep up the good work!

I must admit having battled all kinds of understeer in a FWD Beta on the track with 190BHP, I cant imagine what a high powered FWD VX will be like......

I really think you did the right thing putting the Volumetrico in the Monte!!
andybeta

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »

Nice work Eric. Quicker than a certain red Monte with an Alfa V6 in it owned by P Millet by any chance  Wink ?

When do you anticipate showing it, the Lancia AGM next week near Cambridge?

You are doing a VX Spider as well as your Monte Shocked ? You don't make things easy for yourself  Wink.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:08:23 PM by andybeta » Logged
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:00:19 PM »

Andy

Yes I was at the LMC AGM last weekend with the car and had some fun on the Sunday Drive. Yes I am still finishing the VX FI Beta Spyder and where would the fun be in doing things the easy way!

Cheers

Eric
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

Hi Fellow Monte Fans it is nearly Spring 2015 so time for the next stage in the saga.

Last year I nearly got to the potential of a Supercharged Montecarlo with an 037 Volumetrico Supercharger but a few things prevented the performance I should have seen. I was told at the rolling road session the engine was not using all the available boost in fact only 8PSI of nearly 17PSI available. This was seen as mostly down to restriction from the exhaust but also some restriction from the head. So it went very well to 4,000 RPM but was far down on it's potential. So a new head and exhaust might yield an additional 50-60BHP and maybe and extra 30 -40 Ft lbs of torque!!

I now have the Guy Croft Big Valve head (45 inlet 40 exhaust) ready to fit and I drive to Essex to have the new Exhaust made this Saturday. If the plan works the car will be mapped at the end of March and should be amazing to drive.

As ever so much could go wrong so I have not yet signed up for the Goodwood LMC trackday.

I hope to see you in 2015 with my Montecarlo working as it should  Grin

Cheers and enjoy Spring

Eric
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »

Hi Eric

Should be something else when you get it finished, hope it all works out ok.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
thecolonel
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »

Keep at it Eric, if it's worth having, etc etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: