Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:23:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Distributor overhaul  (Read 3908 times)
smithymc

« on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »

Fuel blockages aside, the Choco Lime is not living up to her potential ,as the timing seems v.erratic. The guys at the garage demonstrated the way it wavers at idle with a strobe, with the odd wild 'kick' of retardation thrown in every 20 seconds or so.

She doesn't always want to pull/rev, which I am sure is against the nature of the engine.

I am pretty sure mine is a Bosch unit, interestingly, the Haynes only shows how to overhaul the Marelli type.
Is there a simple( ish )procedure for freelng the weights etc?

Thanks.

Mark
dougdee123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »

Before you get carried away renovating the distributor, have a look at the earthing of the coil unit and the bosch ignition control unit located on a plate on the offside front strut.

If the earthing here is inadequate then the sparks are a bit weedy. I increased the cable to a rather chunky size (25A ?) all round there.

D

Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »

Take it your car still has the original points ignition? Have you changed the points and condenser? Is the vacuum advance fitted/working?
smithymc

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »

Neil

Yep, she is still on points - new ones with a condenser. Dwell and timing check out too. New coil, HT leads, plugs too.

How would I test a vacuum advance? By applying a vacuum I suppose?

With the low miles, I would hope that the whole distributor is not knackered, but I've been wrong before on this project!

Mark
smithymc

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »

In avoiding the Murray tennis hype until they actually started playing on Sunday, I managed to get the distributor off again.

It is a purely centrifugal type with no vacuum advance, and there seems no way of removing the contact plate to get at the weights without damaging it.

It looked a bit rusty viewed through holes in the plate so I doused it in penetrating oil, let it soak then repeatedly span the shaft by hand - the weights could be seen and heard to move quite freely.

Its back on waiting for another test drive.

In looking for parts I came across Leen APK in Holland, who sell electronic distributors for Fiat Twin cams- anyone tried one? ( if they fit- seem mainly for 124s)

Mark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: