Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:05:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta Spider 2000 '76 in Poland - a restoration project to begin  (Read 4003 times)
Artur

Poland Poland

« on: May 23, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new Beta Spider owner. Few years ago I've spotted a picture of the Beta Spider taken on the road somewhere in Holland and since then I've been thinking of becoming an owner of one. So - this winter it happened. I've bought in Germany the 1976 Beta Spider 2000 with the intention of restoring it. It's early 828BS1 (no. 13 as far as I understand the Lancia chassis numbering and production dates).

The car was stored since 1991 in some garage in Germany, the engine wasn't starting, some things were missing (most still to be bought somewhere). The car had undergone - so to say - a restoration in 1990, which had included a lot of much to amateur welding, pretty decent external respray (black), lots of interior damage while dis- and assembling it back (terrible!) and covering every possible inch of metal with every available grease.

Done till now - ignition and wiring repaired, engine basically serviced, checked and started.
Right now I do slowly dismantle it and plan to finally have it painted back to original Rosso Capanelle colour.

Tons of work ahead of me and as I'm neither professional nor experienced in that kind of job I hope not to loose enthusiasm and that I'll more less know what to do...

Below - few pictures - from coming home after initial repairs (German license plates from the eighties were still on the car) to the status today.
I'll try to post the updates in the appropriate section of the forum and most likely will be gratefull for many advices every time I'm stuck because of the lack of knowledge.

Regards,
Artur
Wroclaw, Poland

* s_WP_20130508_006.jpg (109.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 427 times.)

* s_WP_20130508_009.jpg (80.84 KB, 640x480 - viewed 460 times.)

* s_WP_20130508_012.jpg (97.86 KB, 640x480 - viewed 485 times.)

* s_WP_20130508_013.jpg (83.32 KB, 640x480 - viewed 465 times.)

* s_WP_20130520_042.jpg (127.73 KB, 640x480 - viewed 487 times.)

* s_WP_20130520_044.jpg (141.74 KB, 640x480 - viewed 476 times.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:44:14 PM by Artur » Logged
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:05:58 AM »

Welcome Artur,
It will be worth the effort.

Geoff
Les 442

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »

Welcome Artur
Looks like a big project, my spider looks pretty much the same.
Have fun with it.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »

Hi Artur

Welcome. From the pictures, it looks like it is mainly complete and not in too bad condition, make sure you check the inner wings front and back, mine is the same era as yours and looked outwardly ok, but on close inspection they were very bad.

Can I ask a favour and you send me photos and description of what covering is in the boot/trunk below the rubber mats in both of the rear wing areas? I have been trying to sort that out for a while and not having much success understanding what should be there.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »

Welcome to the forum Artur. The Polish Beta squad is growing up  Cool
A really nice car, but a long and rough way before you, so be patient and strong enough. It took me almost three years to get refurbished my HPE, what at the moment of buying hopefully I was not aware about. Now I can say all my efforts and engagement was definitelly worth it. I am glad to have my HPE.
I hope when you finish we will meet somewhere in Poland. Through the three years I have gained some knowledge, collected some parts and literature, so if you need some just ask me. I will be glad to help you. Good luck!

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
Artur

Poland Poland

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »

Hello,

Thank you all very much for the welcome and encouraging words!!

Till now the project is a lot of (time consuming) fun and I do enjoy it a lot. From the very beginning the assumption was to make it a more - less complete restauration project, also because that was the thing I wanted to go through since many years. I assume lots of challenges, doubts, disappointment or frustration are coming along with such endavour and I like to think that I'm prepared for that, but of course - time will show.

Looking for the car to buy I had not looked for the one that I could just refresh and drive, but of course I had a very vague idea what should I look for etc. Only after few months and not so many hours of working with it I'm much wiser but not wise at all.

What I found during the dissasembly was quite a lot of welding done back in 1990 - mainly rear fenders, some on the sides and in the front and some minor looking rust holes in few points. After welding it was all painted black and after that the car had never left the garage. So superficially it looks as it's nice but I'm aware, that underneath there might be lots of unpleasant surprises waiting. That's why I'd like to have the paint and all other substances stripped completely, then have the welding job done and after that to make the painting to the wonderful orange colour. I hope that what I'd find wont be to much damaged to repair.

@ Les - I think you're right about the project size, but looking at your Beta story I'm very sure that you have uncomparably more knowledge and experience in all that than me. But I won't surrender easily.

@ Peteracs - thanks for the hint. I'm afraid that you'd be right with that. We'll see when the fenders are gone.

In regard to the trunk - I attach the photo and you can see that in my trunk it's just nothing - two sad looking holes. I have no idea what it was, but the part catalogue shows two misterious artefacts (no. 2 and 20) 82321884 (2) - called rest, sack lower, italian 'base appoggio sollevatore' so the jack should be put there) and 82321885 (20) - called housing which again doesn't say much to me, but italian 'sede borsa portautensili' - shows that the tools set shoud go there.

I'd be grateful if some other forum user, who has it all complere could take some pictures to see how it exactly should look like...

@ Łukasz - congratulations with your HPE, I'd be pleased to meet you and see the Beta some time - if you're in Opalenica, it's not to far. I won't hesitate to aim to benefit from your experience and I'm glad that you're in Poland. I know that the project may last for quite a long time and I'm really happy not to have any time pressure on that. I apparently have to care for my patience and persistence during that adventure.

* s_WP_20130510_013.jpg (118.6 KB, 640x480 - viewed 403 times.)

* trunk S2.gif (44.55 KB, 640x480 - viewed 455 times.)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »

Hi Artur

The mysterious two items are moulded polystyrene fillers, I was lucky to have both in my car when purchased, but many are missing from others.

From the photo ( thanks), it looks like there was some kind of sound deadening material glued to the outer wing at the bottom part of the wing. This was similar to mine and makes me think that was standard and all that was installed there. I guess to provide protection for the wing as much as any sound issues on second thoughts.

Thanks for posting that and all the best of the refurb.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pee Vee

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 03:15:20 AM »

Hi Artur,

It looks like there was a lot of welding done to the shock tower and they covered it up with 3M sound deadening mat (part number 08840).   
http://www.amazon.com/3M-08840-500-Sound-Deadening/dp/B005RNGRMU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/179-1247619-3499211

As far as what sound deadening was there to start with, it is hard to say. My '81 didn't have much but the '79 I got my spare quarter panels from did have some affixed to the outer sheet metal skin. See below:

And there was also a piece on the outer wheel house too. You can see where it was in this picture.

and a little by the seat belt anchor

The 3M stuff is good to have around. They also used it on the floor extensively. This is the "after" picture. It's is pretty close to the original pattern.
Artur

Poland Poland

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for all the information.

@ Peter, now I correctly understand your question - by the way I got some information I needed - thanks.
Below two better, I think, pictures of these parts of my Spider's trunk. I think that those mats in the back seem original, this reminds very thin (0,5 cm) layer of rock wool. It was present on both sides. This might have changed over the years and models - my is from 05.1976 so very early S2.

I agree with Pee Vee, I have looked at the link (thank you!) and it seems to be 3M sound deadening mat in my trunk.

@ Pee Vee - I've looked at your restoration story and I admire your heroic work. The effect is stunning!

BTW - you can see an example of not to much sophisticated welding I have inherited in great amounts after previous restoration. At least they flooded it all in some protection grease.

* s_WP_20130524_002.jpg (147.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 393 times.)

* s_WP_20130524_003.jpg (150.47 KB, 640x480 - viewed 433 times.)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »

Hi Artur

It looks like some of the under carpet material stuck to the lower wings, perfect for holding water it seems to me. Did you also get the rubber mats which line the rest of the trunk/boot?

On the 3M matting, the guys who welded my car also installed that and makes the job look good and also will help if you you get moisture in there as will keep the moisture away from the metal.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Artur

Poland Poland

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »

Hi Peter,

Yes - it looks like this. I think not only it holds water but I don't believe it gives any special noise preventing effect.
I have the gums, not very beautiful (cut here and there during re-assemblu like many other things but repairable). The one covering the back seat part is missing, it's on the list  of the things (along with original tools, misterious items mentioned earlier and 100 other) to find somewhere sometime...

Artur
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: