Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:29:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTRICAL GREMLIN  (Read 3664 times)
ISENDM

« on: January 19, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

Hey Lanica Group

I own a 79 spyder.  The gas/oil/temp./tach gauges and turn signals stopped working.
Checked the ceramic fuses and they all look fine.
Looking for other suggestions for this problem.
Thanks
Peter
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »

Hi Peter,

Do the actual front/side & rear indicators on the car still flash?  or is it just the flashers (two green arrows) on the dashboard binnacle that have stopped?

When you operate the lever to indicate left or right can you hear the flasher relay clicking? (its mounted on the inside under the steering column)

This will narrow things down a bit !

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »

Have you tried the two main connectors that go into the bottom of the fusebox either side  Huh? Check for corrosion and condition.
One is straight from the battery, the other from the alternator.
The connector of one of mine broke when i was out driving and it resulted in me loseing half the electrics.
Also worth removing the fuses, and giving the contacts and fuses a little clean.

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »

If its just the dials and the indicator direction arrows in the dash binnacle then it could be the wafer thin plastic circuit board on the back of the speedo / rev counter binnacle.  These are prone to metal fatigue, go brittle and then some of the circuits cease to function.

I had to do some delicate soldering to bypass a broken section of the wiring on the flimsy plastic circuitry to get my dash lights to work again. Everything else worked fine, gauges etc so depends on what part or the circuit has broken.

Really need to exactly what is working and whats not

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Lancia Beta 2000

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:24:31 AM »

try to check connectors under steering wheel
Betanut

Scotland Scotland

Lancialess

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:03:32 PM »

Have you tried the two main connectors that go into the bottom of the fusebox either side  Huh? Check for corrosion and condition.
One is straight from the battery, the other from the alternator.
The connector of one of mine broke when i was out driving and it resulted in me loseing half the electrics.
Also worth removing the fuses, and giving the contacts and fuses a little clean.

Sound advice, would only add to that/suggest that it's worthwhile taking the fuse box and relays out completely for a damn good clean up. Easier out of the car than in  Wink
Worth checking the principal earthing points at the same time, a wee bit of corrosion can make a startling difference to the electrics.

Ahhhhhh..... the memories  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: