Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:01:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I own the oldest spyder in the UK?  (Read 11226 times)
Ashley frater

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 08:40:58 AM »

At any other time I'd hate gold wheels too, so hideous.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

Hi All

Interestingly, for me at least, I was just trying to read the engine nos in the engine bay and I happened to read my model nos, never really taken much notice of it before. The serial nos is 1074, which I guess makes it one of the first batch of RHD S2 pre F/L Spyders. It was registered in Feb 77 from memory which I guess makes sense as I think the S2 started production in mid to late 76?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:24 PM »

According to glass's check book (fairly reliable but not 100% infallible ) 1600 s2 spider announced march 76 available UK from September  first chassis number imported 1004, the 2 litre was available from June first chassis number 1145
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »

Hi

So not that reliable, unless it was a demonstrator, but would have expected registration back in Sept for that.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 06:43:19 AM »

Oops typing error on my part that chassis number should read 1004

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »

Hi

Yes, that makes more sense now.

Thanks for the update.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »

Hi All

Just as an add on to this thread, I am curious if anyone else has an early S2 Spyder and has the same setup as mine?

Mine is missing the two small dampers on the engine and gearbox and has an old style petrol tank, which does not have a 'doughnut' seal around the outlet/level sensor.

Also there is no provision to attach the damper to the gearbox, ie the place on the casting and on the bodywork are just not there.

Lastly the rear lights have a small reflector, rather than the larger one used on later s2 pre and post f/l

I suspect the early cars were simply uprated S1 cars and the dampers and later fuel tank came later in 77.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »

I suppose I'm going a bit off topic here, but what if any, are the effects of not having those dampers as part of the mount set-up?
I have replaced the gearbox mount, successfully made a front (chassis) mount and need a timing belt end mount for my car and although I've never checked them, I suspect the two dampers are less than healthy and if they're seized, I'd consider discarding them as I did with the steering damper which has been a relative success as far as ease of low speed steering goes

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

Re:
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »

Your engine mounts will fail much faster, secondly drove train refinement will be reduced as the engine and gearbox unit will move in a less damped manner under power application, Lancia added the dampers for good reason
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

Re:
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »

Your engine mounts will fail much faster, secondly drove train refinement will be reduced as the engine and gearbox unit will move in a less damped manner under power application, Lancia added the dampers for good reason

I must admit that as I am scrapping a slightly later car than mine at the moment I do intend taking the mount points off it with a view to having them added to mine. The hard part will be changing the gearbox casing etc, so not a quick job, but should be well worth it, because as you say, they were not put on for no good reason. Interestingly the 1300 Spyder/Coupe according to the parts book I have also did not come with dampers, perhaps Neil could confirm this (or anyone else who has a 1300)?

I did buy the two dampers from Matt when he was doing a batch of them, so have them safely tucked away for when the day comes.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »

I must admit that as I am scrapping a slightly later car than mine at the moment I do intend taking the mount points off it with a view to having them added to mine. The hard part will be changing the gearbox casing etc, so not a quick job, but should be well worth it, because as you say, they were not put on for no good reason. Interestingly the 1300 Spyder/Coupe according to the parts book I have also did not come with dampers, perhaps Neil could confirm this (or anyone else who has a 1300)?

I did buy the two dampers from Matt when he was doing a batch of them, so have them safely tucked away for when the day comes.

Peter
Possibly the 1300 didn't have enough torque to warrant it , I will check my info at home if I find time (and remember, maybe  signs of old age setting in!)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:00:56 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »

Both my 1300's (pre & post facelift) have the dampers. They are shot on the 'new' one which is probably why the front engine mount is in such a poor state? Luckily I have a pair from the group purchase we made.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »

Both my 1300's (pre & post facelift) have the dampers. They are shot on the 'new' one which is probably why the front engine mount is in such a poor state? Luckily I have a pair from the group purchase we made.

Ah, just rechecked and it lists for 1300 Saloon only without dampers, not coupe or spider...

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

Re:
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »

I think that was a budget version of the sedan still with first series body probably for Italy only
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »

My 1975 S1 1800 coupe does not have any provision for dampers either. The gearbox end plate is an easy swap, you do not have to strip the whole box. You will also need the correct driveshaft extension housing for the engine side mount.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »

Hi

That is correct, the S1 parts book does not show any dampers, now I just need to double check what the part number on my engine is just in case it is a S1 1600 and not S2......

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: