Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:00:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie from France  (Read 4665 times)
frenchyalex

France France

« on: March 02, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »

Hello ,

I'm Alex 25, I live on the North of France only 80 miles from Calais. I'm a big Lancia fan.

I actually have two betas, a spyder and a coupe both 1600 from 1980. I've found them in a barn , they've belonged to the same owner since the early 90's but they are in a bad condition.
I think that I'll be able to restore the coupe but the spyder is far too much rotten and I'll have to scrap it.

I'm actually looking for an other spyder to restore but in a better condition, I'll keep this one for the parts.

Here are some pictures of my cars in order to show you the work they need, you'll be able to see why I'll have to scrap the spyder ! Hope to meet you guys during an Uk event !

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

They are a funny mix of parts, to look at at a glance they look earlier than 1980. The yellow colour wasn't made as late as 1980 do you know if it has been changed? As regards to rust on the spider the rust on the rear strut towers/wheel arch is fairly typical some of the other rust does look extensive though but spiders are typically very rust prone. Do the cars have a brown or a black dashboard?
Assuming the cars were built on or after 1978 tim speechley at fiat uk may be able to help with build dates for your cars, email him at tim.speechley@fiat.com
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »

Hi

The Spyder is a f/l as has the in window wing mirror and what looks like black seats. The coupe does look earlier as has door mounted mirror and the old 1600 lights and grill setup, but a later bonnet, but not that unusual to see one being changed later in life I guess as they tended to rust along the front edge.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

Hi

The Spyder is a f/l as has the in window wing mirror and what looks like black seats. The coupe does look earlier as has door mounted mirror and the old 1600 lights and grill setup, but a later bonnet, but not that unusual to see one being changed later in life I guess as they tended to rust along the front edge.

Peter
But the spider has s2 pre fl headlights and the coupe seems to have black seats that look like facelift ones
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »

Hi Alex and Welcome.

That Spider does look a little sorry for itself - though I have seen worse! If you do decide to scrap it please let the members on here have first option on any usable parts. In particular Archigraphe would probably like the headlights as spares.

If you do decide to come over you'd be very welcome  - Claude and Catherine (CGO75) came over from Paris for the Beta 40th last year in the their coupe.

Stuart
frenchyalex

France France

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »

Thank you for the kind words.

Both cars are from 1980. The coupe was repainted in the early 90's with a Lancia yellow but I didn't know that this colour wasn't available anymore in 1980 so thanks ! the coupe was originally grey ! The front grill and headlights are from a series 1 model but the last owner gave me the original parts with the car. I think the passenger door was changed for an early one when it was repainted ...

The spyder has a series 2 front grill and 2 litres headlights but I've also got all the original parts for this car .

I'll list which parts are available for sale on the forum, no problem at all  Smiley
I'm actually looking for an other spyder in better condition so I'll keep some parts too.

Is it the archigraphe from the French squadra beta forum ? If that's him, we've already spoken together on the phone  Cheesy
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »

still worth asking Tim when your cars were actually made, I don't know about France but in the UK some cars were two years old or more when sold! the yellow you have looks a bit like Maya yellow which was series one only, for me original paint colours doesn't matter too much as long as it looks good. From series 2 FL2 colours got quite sedate. I think the early grille is by far the nicest too. 
frenchyalex

France France

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »

Thank you , I'll send him an email.

I don't know at all if it was possible in France to sell a new car one or two years after it was manufactured.

Indeed I've seen this yellow on series 1 models too. I just hope my coupe is not as bad as the spyder

The exterior is good but I still haven't removed the seats, I may find some big rust holes too ...
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »

It is fairly typical to find rust in the rear arches and also where the inner arch meets the boot floor, it can be repaired just requires quite a lot of time and effort. Tim only has records from, about 1978 sadly it seems that earlier records for Betas were lost years ago along with other records for the same era, just send him the chassis numbers and he should be able to confirm what information he has
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 11:57:52 PM »

Hi

Peter
But the spider has s2 pre fl headlights and the coupe seems to have black seats that look like facelift ones

Did not see the picture which showed the cope seats and yes they are black f/l. Think Alex has answered this question now.

Alex, looks like a lot of work on the Spyder and depending on your position and who is doing the work, maybe not one to save.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 12:14:32 AM »

Hi

Peter

Did not see the picture which showed the cope seats and yes they are black f/l. Think Alex has answered this question now.

Alex, looks like a lot of work on the Spyder and depending on your position and who is doing the work, maybe not one to save.

Peter
Perhaps, assuming there is enough space to do so, one to keep whole and pick bits off as required that way it could be saved at a later date. It looks bad but maybe too good to scrap?
frenchyalex

France France

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:21:53 PM »

I'm going to do all the work myself. The spyder is in a really bad condition. I still haven't shown you everything but I can't fix it, there's rust everywhere, It will take too much time and money to save it. Indeed the car has to be totally rebuilt,  she needs new seats, windscreen, dashbord , bonnet, doors ... and all the welding but It's just impossible.

I'll list all the parts that I'd like to sell on the forum. I'll show you more pics later !

Regards.

Alex

HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 05:07:47 PM »

It's never nice to decide to break a car but there comes a point.

I had to do that ith my first spider and superficially it looked a lot better than yours.

Much of it lives on in my 'new' car though
frenchyalex

France France

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »

I think I've found an other Spyder in good condition, fingers crossed .

If It's ok I'm gonna go to Belgium to buy it this week-end , I'll call the seller tomorrow !
frenchyalex

France France

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »

Hello, here are some news of my cars.

I've just scrapped the spyder this afternoon, I'm still looking for an other one in better condition. I've got a lot of beta parts available so if you need something just send me a pm.

I've cut the roof because it was the only part in good condition on this car and if someone needs it, just ask me !

frenchyalex

France France

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »

Hi , I've got a lot of beta parts for sale including rare parts so if you need something just ask me . I didn't buy an other spyder so I'm focusing on the coupe at the moment !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: