Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:34:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta Spider - my first Lancia  (Read 4200 times)
Tamburini

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 11, 2013, 09:53:18 PM »

Just a note to introduce myself.  I'm a new forum member and have just bought a Beta Spider.  I've had a number of Alfas but this is my first Lancia.  

I was looking for a usable classic and have long wanted an HPE, for reasons I can't really explain but which I'm sure will be familiar to many on here.  Then I saw this Spider for sale locally and, being a fan of 70's retro, loved the colour and interior combination (orange and tan!)  I then talked myself into why a four seater targa-topped car made more sense than an estate, especially with summer on the way..

The car isn't perfect but it's much better underneath and in the key areas.  I found the Forum full of helpful advice and read up before I took the plunge.

Look forward to meeting other forum members at events later this year.

Richard

* Photo 1.jpg (164.98 KB, 470x353 - viewed 504 times.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:58:24 PM by Tamburini » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »

Hi Richard

Welcome and the car looks well, always good to have another pre f/l car around. Did you buy from a forum member?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »

Welcome Richard, looks a nice clean example you have there.  I want a spider to add to my collection so am a little envious!

You are certainly in the right place for all things Beta!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Tamburini

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »

Thanks Matt and Peter. 

I bought it from Richard Thorne.  It was by far the cheapest car on his books but he spent a lot of time talking to me about the car and I found him very good to deal with. 

The Spider spent a lot of its life in Bournemouth - from at least the early '80s to around 2004 judging by the MOT history.  It also had the subframe and engine (amongst other things) changed a few years back, but it's been in storage for a number of years since.  Looking forward to giving it some use when the weather improves.

Richard
VXdeMayo

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »

Dear Richard,
Well done on your Spider purchase, though for the life of me I cannot work out how you managed to convince yourself that a convertible was a more sensible move than a HPE??? (More room for stuff I suppose.....with the top down of course!)
Did you just convince yourself or did you manage to pursuade someone else of this wisdom as well?
I lived in Bournemouth in the late 70's to mid 80's, so I probably lusted over this car at one stage myself. Are you still local to the area, or has the Spider travelled to pastures new?
Have fun with your new Lancia,
Best,
Chas and Anne. Grin

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

Thanks Matt and Peter. 

I bought it from Richard Thorne.  It was by far the cheapest car on his books but he spent a lot of time talking to me about the car and I found him very good to deal with. 

Richard

Hi Richard

Oddy enough I was reading the latest Viva Lancia and noticed an orange/tan Spyder was sold by them recently, did sort of wonder.

Never had any dealings with them, but they have been around a long time and as far as I can see very well respected in Lancia circles.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »

Richard,

That looks very straight but RT should know the mirrors are supposed to be horizontal! Also it has the 'wrong' headlamps but that's very common and the originals are hard to get hold of.

I notice on the RT web page the instrument panel glass is clouded, that's also pretty common. I've run both my Spiders without it - that stops the reflections too!

Stuart (fellow 1978 Spider owner!)
thecolonel
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:06 PM »

I had discolored/faded plastic on my fulvia dials, I used
some mopping compound came up fine. Also works on
number plate lights

Geoff
Tamburini

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »

Thanks everyone. 

I didn't apply any logic in choosing a Spyder over an HPE! The latter is much more practical but I realised in the end that while practical's good I didn't need to be practical here as I'm not going to use it every day.  Just hope the hood is good - though it looks fine.
I don't live in Bournemouth though I'll be taking it on some trips down there I'm sure.

I'd noticed the wing mirrors - strange!  Stuart, can you point me in the direction of what the proper headlights should look like please?

Thanks to Geoff for the tip on clearing the clouded plastic.  I was wondering about that.

Already lots of good advice coming in - many thanks all.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:05 PM »

Like this on the car 

and this off

Still four reflectors but a single lens on each side.

Tamburini

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »

Interesting, thanks Stuart.  Would my car when new also have had the silver grille, like yours?  I thought the black grille was correct for year, but perhaps not.

Richard
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »

A second series 1600 spider would have the silver honeycomb grille and twin lights, a 2000 one would have oblong lights and black grille with 5 bars
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:04 PM »

Mine had the wrong grill when I bought it - since corrected!
Ashley frater

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »

Looks like a great car, welcome to Spyder ownership!  I've had a 75 Spyder for just over a year and loved every minute.
Ashley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: