Lancia Beta Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:39:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windscreen advise..  (Read 6860 times)
gengis

« on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm about to start preparing my 83 Coupe ie for a re-spray.  The aperture round the the windscreens has some rust scabs, which I would like to deal with.

The front and rear screens have, which look like a conventional set up...rubber seal with a chrome trim fitted in the middle.  Can someone confirm that this is the case? and that it's not a bonded type.  Also how easy are these to remove?

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:52:27 PM »

Your car will definitely not have the bonded screen, I.E's and VX's had the rubber seal style screens.

With Bonded screens you should only be able to see the chrome trim, no big black rubber bits should be visible.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:27:39 AM »

In theory not difficult to take out but best to get someone from a local glass place to do it for you, be warned however that the glass can hold hidden stresses and might crack for no apparent reason when taken out. You do need to remove it though as the rust bubbles are a sign of deeper corrosion that needs halting.it will probably not be bad but there will be more that is covered by the rubber
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »

In theory not difficult to take out but best to get someone from a local glass place to do it for you, be warned however that the glass can hold hidden stresses and might crack for no apparent reason when taken out. You do need to remove it though as the rust bubbles are a sign of deeper corrosion that needs halting.it will probably not be bad but there will be more that is covered by the rubber

So damned if you do and damned if you don't........

On the upside, getting one of the bonded screens out in one piece is pretty much a pig and cleaning it and the frame up afterwards equally boring.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
spud

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »

Your car will definitely not have the bonded screen, I.E's and VX's had the rubber seal style screens.

Definitely not so. Some VX models have bonded screens. Mine has.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »

Definitely not so. Some VX models have bonded screens. Mine has.

Andrew.
I think that some hpe still had bonded screens but no coupes but I will try to check the parts microfiche

Sent from my MOMO11 bird using Tapatalk HD
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:39:37 PM »

Could these have had bonded screens retro fitted for some reason?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
gengis

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »

Thanks for the info guy's...I'll get a professional to remove the front and rear screens, hopefully they'll not crack...fingers crossed!

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »

right I've checked the microfiche, bit confusing but I have found the following, S2FL cars all shared the same screen and surround whether HPE or coupé, the seal for this windscreen was altered in October 1978 to a two piece left and right (presumably a change of technique with the sealant). For S2FL2 this part continued with the same part numbers for the HPE but the Coupé changed to a single piece seal which is presumably the rubber type seal, on this series the part numbers for trims and seals do not match on HPE vs coupé and neither do the screens. The microfiche I use is the 9th edition which was issued late in or possibly after the end of Beta production so should include all variations. So it would seem that officially the HPE continued with a bonded screen which TBH is what I had always understood to be the case, I was always under the impression that due to the hatchback the HPE shell wasn't as stiff as the coupé and needed the benefit of a bonded windscreen to improve body rigidity. As far as I know the screens are interchangeable (but don't take my word for it I've never tried it!) so I suppose it is possible that over the years some HPE acquired coupé style screens with rubber seals, also possible that some acquired them at the factory by accident or due to parts shortages(?) although Lancia parts info is quite precise and any deliberate application of different parts should be recorded in the parts information. Also in the service manual update for the S2FL2 cars it illustrates and lists the new features for both HPE  and coupé and it specifically mentions the 'new system for fitting windscreen glass and rubber trim' only for the coupé, under the HPE it just says 'windscreen and side windows surround and drip channel trim in black'.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:45:32 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
spud

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:58:34 AM »

It's great that you have the microfiche system to get all this info- as time goes on it will become more and more valuable as a source of correct information. Good work there mate!

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

I think it's a shame that the late cars were not on parts books, they are much better with excellent illustrations and better explanations with the fiche there is always a small element of guess work as all you can see is a line drawing (which may not be accurate for all variations) and a part number. Also the microfiche suffers over the years my only S2FL copy being badly scuffed in places making it hard to read.
Today I checked the Spider microfiche and can confirm that only the bonded version is listed for Spiders although strangely it only shows the single piece seal not the two piece one this despite S2FL spiders seemingly being produced into the era of S2FL2 coupés. My microfiche is edition 3 issued in 1982 so should be up to date. Perhaps Zagato fitted the screens and didn't update their fitting method??
I also looked at 78/79 berlina out of interest, in particular because I owned one of these a few years back very original low mileage and I think I recall it had a rubber screen surround, this just confused me as again the two part seal is shown as a modification but no suggestion of a rubber seal unless the two part one was rubber which seems very unlikely to me(??). I also have the S2FL parts book  and I checked that and it confused me even more!! Anyway spent enough time on this already just to get more confused!

Alan
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:15:38 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »

Is there a way to scan your old microfiche onto computer??
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:43 AM »

Size of fiat fiche makes this difficult there is no commercial solution as it is to big for the available machines. I am photographing each page as I have time but its a laborious job......so may never finish it especially as it can only be done in the dark!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: