Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:58:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windscreen differences  (Read 2029 times)
Pee Vee

« on: May 23, 2013, 12:05:17 AM »

I read an old post about there being different windscreen attaching mechanisms for Betas. I'm in the US so maybe we have different standards but my 1981 Spider (Fuel Injected) and a 1975 Beta Sedan that was in a local scrap yard both had windscreens that were just glued/bonded in. No rubber seal whatsoever. I think this has been typical of US sold cars for years. So I'm confused when you guys start talking about windscreen seals and different windscreen part numbers depending on whether it is bonded or not.

I have a brand new Pilkington glass windscreen to go in my car and now I'm starting to wonder if it will fit  Shocked

Can someone post pictures that show the different styles of mounting and comment about interchangeability?

I'll get out my microfiche and see what they say for North American cars.

Paul
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:30:09 AM »

Hi Paul

If you ignore tinting variants, there are two styles of windscreen for the Coupe/HPE and Spyder (Zagato) (from what I have experienced and read). The early cars all had a bonded windscreen, so removal is a pig and requires a knife and lots of swearing (my experience anyway). At some point on later cars they reverted to a removable reusable rubber seal which allowed much easier removal. The windscreens look almost identical, but the ones for the reusable seal are just slightly smaller overall.

No experience on the sedan, and no idea if they are the same shape etc as the coupe ones. Haynes manual suggests it had a reusable one.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »

I don't think spders ever had the rubber screen surround unless some NA versions (that were built after end of production for Europe) had them. All other versions for Na would have been discontinued prior to the adoption of the rubber mounting method which was started on or around S2FL2 production see my other posts about this but as usual it is a bit confusing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: