Lancia Beta Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:51:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sagging sun visors  (Read 3692 times)
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« on: January 07, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »

While my car is away having its paintwork sorted out finally, my attention is turned to a couple of little jobs that need sorting out.

My car has been 100% retrimmed inside, including the sunvisors.  Now the visors are no heavier now than they were before they were re-trimmed with new vinyl.  However they sag under their own weight which is mildly annoying when driving as they constantly drop down into my line of view when I dont need them.  (One is worse than the other at playing this game)

So, I've been thinking on how to remedy this and thought it worth a post to see if anyone has come up with a fix.  My options as I see it are as follows:

1. Replace the fixed clips. (One can hope its as simple as this  Grin)

2. Replace the swivel and arm section that is part of the visor.  (I'd prefer not to as it might result in damage to the visor or result in needing a new visor altogether)

3. Modify the fixed clip or the swivel end to stiffen up the angle movement of the sunvisor.

I've not ripped open an old sunvisor so I'm not sure what there is inside to modify (I doubt its much, I thought it was just a bar possibly with some form of light frame), or whether its just the ball/swivel at the fixed end that needs a tweak of some sort.  I've thought that the fixed clips might be worn so much that they just dont stop the visor from drooping, but I thought that they were only there to keep it located in place horizontally, rather than stopping its angle from changing.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
hutch6610

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »

You don't mention what Beta it is but if its a 78 on coupe or HPE then you need to adjust the screw on the visor.
Drop the visor down and you should (if it has not been covered over that is) see a Phillips screw, just tighten it until you get the resistance you want.
Just been outside to check my HPE to see if this screw is not a figment of my imagination - yes it does exist
hope this helps
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »

Thanks Hutch,

During the re-trimming of the visors, the screws that you mentioned had been covered over and completely hidden from view.

I could feel one through the vinyl and managed to put a tiny slit over the screw, enough to pop a phillips through and put a turn on the adjuster screw, without causing major damage.

The other side I wasn't so lucky, this side was a lot looser and I could not feel the screw beneath the vinyl.  Again a tiny slit was cut but this time there was just a hole, no screw at all.  So I found one the right length and hey presto, all sorted.  Just two small slits that are hardly noticeable, and only really visible when the visors are down.

Thanks for the info, cross one more job off the list !

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
hutch6610

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »

Good to hear you got it sorted.
Pretty sure you would have sussed it out had the screws not been covered over!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: