Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:47:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Spyder - you may recognise this one  (Read 8116 times)
skattrd

England England

« on: December 24, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »

I collected this yesterday and it drove the 150 mile trip home without issue. I'm not saying the car's without its faults, but none of them stop it from being used Wink
Anyway, have a few pics to start with, I'll fill in details later.

Current plans are to fix a few of the issues and run around in the car until I decide what to do with it ...

Current faults:
Non working heater - matrix bypassed. I'm wary of re-connecting it as it might have been bypassed due to it leaking.
Alternator not charging well - bottom bolt missing so alternator slightly loose. The bushes the bolt goes through are also missing. The alternator may be ok, and just in need of securing.
Dash lights, most n/a - I need to check what size bulbs they are then go to Maplins for a box of them.
Drivers door handle broken/inop - fix/replace, currently it's a case of winding the window down and reaching for the outside handle to open the door.
Engine runs warm - will flush coolant, fit bigger/better fans and check thermo-switch. Heater matrix being bypassed might not be helping this.
Most lights are not great, so check voltages, replace bulbs, and possibly wiring where needed.
Wipers not great - functional, but slow and and don't clear much. I'm guessing rusty spindles, so strip, clean, oil
Exhaust rattles - it doesn't look like it's lined up properly at the rear, so look at re-hanging the exhaust if possible.
Roof has come away at the seam at the bottom of the window - bodge for now, look at replacement later.

After that lot, we'll see Wink

I had the car on the lift at my brother-in-laws garage today and it looks very solid underneath. There are a few bits of patching/welding here and there, but it all looks ok and nothing to worry about from an MOT point of view.

VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »

Welcome to the forum, you certainly picked a good day for the pick up judging by the rain!
If you need any standard bulbs I have a quantity spare. PM me if you like?

PS: You might need a few more stickers.

Best,
Chas and Anne. Grin

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »

Do you pick today because it was a good day to test how waterproof the roof is?

You must be pleased that the spider covered 150 miles in less than great weather without a hitch.

We look forward to helping you resolve the little issues with the car and then it will be even more fun when the sun comes out :-)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
skattrd

England England

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »

Cheers guys, but I actually picked up the car on Sunday, the only dry day recently. The pictures were taken the following day at the garage Wink

I've been running around in this for the last few days and I've decided a couple of things.
1. The stickers need to go - I don't mind them, but I think the car will look better without them.
2. The seats need to go - I can't adjust them to a comfortable position as the top of the seat catches the roof, and so does my head.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »

I don't think you'll find too many people on here disagreeing with you there.

FWIW I'd loose the spoiler too, the boot of the Spider has very simple lines and that jars badly in my opinion.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »

I reckon with no stickers proper seats and  silver wheels it'll look 2000% better
skattrd

England England

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »

Oops, is it really 18 months I've had this car and not updated it on here.

Anyway, the Spyder has recently passed it's second MOT in my ownership, this time it required a new headlamp switch (thx Mark @ lanciabetaparts) and it's good to go. The only issue I have is that I'm working abroad and haven't had chance to drive it this year Sad
I should be home at the end of next month at which time it will be taxed and used.

A few things have broken and been fixed in the last year or so, off the top of my head it's had a replacement alternator, fuel pump, speedo cable. I have also fitted a primer pump in the fuel line as the fuel gauge is inaccurate, this means if I do run out of fuel then I don't need to suck petrol through the pipe.

The main thing I've done cosmetically is remove most of the stickers. the ones that are left look like they will remove large chunks of paint with them, so they're staying for now. The seats are still there and I've sort of got used to them. I did remove the spoiler last summer, but replaced it as there are  holes drilled through the boot, and as with the seats I've sort of got used to it.

Next up will be:
New tyres - current ones are legal, but old.
New roof - I've seen a cheap one from rockauto in the US I'm about to order.
Tidy the interior - new carpet would be nice (suggestions where to get appreciated).
Decide whether I want to go to the expense and hassle of swapping to twin carbs,  I want to, but really can't justify it.
Hawk

England England

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

If you can collect / meet me, I have got front and rear seats you can have.

They are not perfect but were in mine for a few years - fronts have black seat covers with a red stripe and rears are original but some of the stitching is coming loose.   
skattrd

England England

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »

A brief update, I am now back from working abroad so I took the Spyder out of hibernation and have covered about 400 miles in it since Friday. No issues to report, but it did stutter and lose power a couple of times on the M62, which was a tad scary, but the car quickly up again and continued without issue. I'm putting the odd stutter down to something in the carb or fuel line, as it cleared quickly and the car has done 200 miles since and it's not happened again.

The alternator now seems to be fine, the battery is charging fully and holding charge, yay! This now means I can use more than one electrical item at time, wipers and lights ... which can come in useful.
skattrd

England England

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »

Well, it looks like the new roof is on hold for a bit as I'm splurging on twin carbs. I won an auction for some twin 40's and Guy Croft manifold on ebay last night.

Shopping list now is:
Electric fuel pump - facet silver top, suitable for 200bhp. I know I won't be anywhere near that, but it leaves room for future upgrades.
Fuel pressure regulator - malpassi filter king, glass bowl. Can anyone say which I size to get, 67 or 85mm and where best to fit/mount?
Air filter - Pipercross PX600 unless someone has a better suggestion.
Blanking plate for mechanical pump - GC? does anyone else do these?

Do I try and get these fitted and running in the two weekends before betameeta or leave the car as it is until after the meet?
I suppose the deciding factor will be the state of the carbs when they get delivered, if they need a rebuild then they won't be fitted until after the meet.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »

If you want to be there then leave it until after. Trust me!
skattrd

England England

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »

Say I attempted to fit the new carbs and failed, isn't it easy to revert to the old one and away you go?
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:36:29 AM »

Say I attempted to fit the new carbs and failed, isn't it easy to revert to the old one and away you go?

Can only repeat Stuart's note of caution. I once started swapping the cam box gaskets and chipped a tooth of the inlet cam wheel and broke the spring on the belt tensioner. Ended up towing the car to Chris Bastow's garage.

Unless you are a qualified mechanic, never try anything you haven't done before against a tight deadline. In any case to get the best out of the twin carbs you will need some expert tuning. I suspect the car will run like a dog when you initially fit them!
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »

I would strip and clean the carbs as a bare minimum, very likely that things like the spindle bearings will need changing if they are old and it's difficult to tell if they smooth or not with everything together. Unless you have a couple of weeks off work I'd doubt you would have time to get these on and sorted just waiting for odd bits and bobs to arrive through the post can eat into your time a lot.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 09:21:58 AM »

Ditto all the above, remember if it can go wrong it will........... and will take at least twice as long to do as you estimate or hope.

With an unknown setup like this it will have the wrong jets etc and need an overhaul most likely.

The last thing you want to do is be all stressed just before you get there I would suggest. If the car is running reliably now, just leave it alone until you have the time.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Hawk

England England

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 12:48:24 AM »

........... and will take at least twice as long to do as you estimate or hope.

Ha ha - you sound like my wife!

She has now learned that if I estimate a 2-3 hour job, the day is written off Smiley
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 07:27:45 AM »

........... and will take at least twice as long to do as you estimate or hope.

Ha ha - you sound like my wife!

She has now learned that if I estimate a 2-3 hour job, the day is written off Smiley

Sadly it came from my wife and is often the truth as you have found (and probably many more on here)

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »

Minor rust repairs to my vx were supposed to take about 6 months maximum, it's now been off the road for 12 years!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: