Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:47:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strut brace - real world results anyone?  (Read 4222 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »

Hi All

Had a quick search for this and noticed a few posts relating to both front and rear strut braces, just wondered if anyone can comment on how much difference they make in normal road use on any of the Betas. Especially interested in Spyder application given structure of body is more prone to flexing.

Lastly, I know I can fabricate one, but is there a manufactured one available at not too silly money?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »

Peter,

My only before versus after experience of strut braces was in my Integrale track car - it made a huge difference to the overall rigidity of the chassis after fitting front & rear strut braces.

I've had road cars that have them fitted as standard (Evo 2 and E46 M3) but never tried them without, I guess they are there for a reason and I would say if you ever drive "in a spirited fashion" then they can help reduce flex and therefore improve handling.  

If you just poodle around, taking in the scenery then it's probably an unneccessary addition.

I think the professionally made versions are long since discontinued, there are folk out there making them  (Thierry/Archigraphe) posted up a link to a site that have some home made versions for circa 120 Euro (price is from memory)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »

Hi Matt

Thanks, I saw the link to the French site and was well under impressed with the quality for the money and preferred Geoff's homebrew job for the Gamma.

I am asking for two reasons, one is the Spyder and second is the Saab convertible I have recently bought which suffers from flexing (at least I hope it is that!) and thought a strut brace would help.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »

I'd be inclined to have one in any convertible because of the chassis flex / shoebox effect.  When I get a Spyder I'll fit braces.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »

Peter

I have good experience of this on my Montecarlo where it made a BIG difference at the rear bracing the wide open engine bay and poorly supported strut towers. At the rear on late Spyders the rear towers are already strongly braced so it would be pointless. I would also say that the late Spyder shell is stronger than the Coupe thanks to the roll hoop, heavy gauge sills and crucially the A pillar to hoop braces. I ran a Spyder with a 185 BHP Guy Croft engine that I also tried in a Coupe. I will be fitting a strut brace at the front on my Volumetrico FI Beta Spyder, but I would do this on a mildly tuned road car as well as it gives better steering response by tightening up the wide open highly loaded structure between the strut tops. I expect to have to custom make this probably adapting a strut brace from another model possible from a universal one. The benefit of this approach is the adjustable bar I expect to have to make the strut top mounts.

Eric     
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »

Eric, Matt

Thanks, I was sort of convinced, but now think I will eventually take the plunge and make up a set. The rear one may be an issue with the space required for the spare, but will take a look and see what can be done. Not likely to do this this week(!) but if anyone else is interested in having a set (or just front one), wonder if it is worth me looking into having a few sets made (decent quality/powder coated etc)? Or are they still available (have discounted the French set as quality looks questionable from picture)?

Eric, you say "on later Spyders", did you just mean from first S2 or is that later ones?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »

Peter

I will now get shot down for Series abuse. I mean the S2 Face Lift I think i.e. when they fitted the bracing bars from the top of the A Pillar to the roll over hoop structure it really strengthened the car. As the rear turrets have a heavy gauge ribbed plate between the turrets compared to the Coupe's light weight cross section I will not go for a rear brace.

Eric     
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »

Eric  - spot on - you will get shot down for Series abuse  Wink

The brace bars were fitted all S2 Spiders including the pre FL models. They may have been fitted to some late S1 cars too though there are so few around it's har to be sure.
Dr Acula

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:05 AM »

How would I tell if one was in place on my 'S' reg spider !!?Huh?? Undecided
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »

Its a brace that is positioned between the top corner of the windscreen and the top corner if the rollover hoop.  It will sit above the top edge of the doors window frame.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »

And the doors will have a frame around the window as well.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: