Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:01:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Poll
Question: How much would you be happy to pay for 12 months access to certain Boards?  (Voting closed: December 12, 2012, 11:44:03 PM)
£5.00 - 5 (17.9%)
£7.50 - 3 (10.7%)
£10.00 - 18 (64.3%)
More - 2 (7.1%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Annual Forum Subscription.  (Read 29262 times)
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »

Any update on subs?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

Hi Matt, Tony et al

Not sure if you were going to follow up on the suggestion/poll from last year about a nominal amount for membership?

I just tried the donate button and it worked! First time I have got it to work for me on any browser, so either you changed the code or Paypal are now playing nicely.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »

Hi Pete

Apology's for the late reply, been a little busy setting up Marks new parts site.
Thanks very much for the forum donation, we've made a changes to the paypal plug-in x fingers its all working now.
I need to speak with Matt to see where we are going with the Subscription thing, problem at the moment we all seem to be so busy  Huh?
Hopefully once the parts site is sorted I'll have a bit of spare time?

Cheers
Tony

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 02:25:36 PM »

Hi Pete

Apology's for the late reply, been a little busy setting up Marks new parts site.
Thanks very much for the forum donation, we've made a changes to the paypal plug-in x fingers its all working now.
I need to speak with Matt to see where we are going with the Subscription thing, problem at the moment we all seem to be so busy  Huh?
Hopefully once the parts site is sorted I'll have a bit of spare time?

Cheers
Tony

Ok, well done. On the subject of Mark's site, I tried to login and buy something yesterday, but kept asking me to login, so unable to checkout and hence buy, is this related to what you are doing?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »

Hi Peter
In theory you should still be able to login, the old site is untouched,  I'm building the new on from scratch, then switching  the old one to to maintenance mode, then import the database to the new site(hopefully tomorrow) if you need parts urgently drop Mark an email.
Cheers Tony

1981 Beta Coupe 1600
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »

If you need parts urgently drop Mark an email.

Nice theory but he's not always the fastest to reply, I know it's not his main job but even so (4 days and waiting here!)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

Hi Peter
In theory you should still be able to login, the old site is untouched,  I'm building the new on from scratch, then switching  the old one to to maintenance mode, then import the database to the new site(hopefully tomorrow) if you need parts urgently drop Mark an email.
Cheers Tony

Sorry, to hijack this thread, but had a mail from Mark today confirming issues with some logins my need is non urgent, so happy to wait until he is ready.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
mtulloch

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »

Where is the link for the subscriptions?

Cannot find it Huh?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:02 AM »

Where is the link for the subscriptions?

Cannot find it Huh?

Hi

Along the line which has

Home Help Contact Admin Search ...........

You will find the Donations option, click on that.

There is no specific Subscription option yet.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
mtulloch

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »

Sorted!
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »

Hi All

I thought I would revise this topic as nothing formal has happened on it, and I guess Tony or someone is picking up the tab still for the forum/domain name etc.

If we are not going to formally 'charge' then I would suggest those that can, make a small donation to help towards the forum's costs.

It would be good to know how much it actually costs to host it and other costs associated with it to give us a target to shoot at.

Thanks

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »

I honestly think it needs some sort  of formal arrangement he last thing we want is the forum imploding due to lack of funds
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:56 AM »

I think we would have to hear from Mark. As things stand I presume that he writes the cost off as advertising in his accounts, so perhaps it doesn't cost him as much as we think?

There are always loads of 'guests' viewing the Forum, so it probably brings in a fair bit of trade?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:02:00 PM by Neil-yaj396 » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »

I think we would have to hear from Mark. As things stand I presume that he writes the cost off as advertising in his accounts, so perhaps it doesn't cost him as much as we think?

There are always loads of 'guests' viewing the Forum, so it probably bring in a fair bit of trade?

I agree, it would be useful to know if the forum is an integral part of the whole Betaboyz sales package or is it separate?

I guess this then opens up the question of ownership and future availability of the forum. I am not questioning any current intentions or asking for any changes, just the experience of the Stratos replica forum which a few years ago lost pretty much all access to many years history and had to start all over again due to the 'owner' of the site deciding not to continue and effective access to the information was removed, with the consequent loss of all the history and useful info contained within it.

I am not suggesting this is in any way the same scenario, just would like to understand how we stand with if something happens to the site owner etc.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »

Hi all, Reply explaining all coming soon Cheesy
Tony

1981 Beta Coupe 1600
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2015, 07:33:06 PM »

Hi all, sorry for the late reply on this, I’m pretty bad at putting pen to paper

When we moved over from the MSN forum in 2009, I set up the new forum being hosted by Zen, and spent many an hour transferring all posts from back to 2002 over to the new forum, not wanting to lose anything.

With annual hosting cost of around £190 per year, within this price we get in package:
5 Data Bases, one we use for the forum, one for the photo gallery and one for Marks parts site, and two spare.

I have also purchased a number of domain names all being forwarded to our forum, a couple of the top of my head are:
Lanciabeta.co.uk  lanciabeta.com betaboyz.co.uk  lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Everything is registered in my name, and is paid annually by me.
Over the years we have tried single line advertising which paid around half the yearly cost, with Mark Wastnidge paying the balance, this only lasted for two years.
Nowadays we rely on your generous forum donations with Mark and myself making up the balance.

Marks parts site is run separately from the forum, and I set it up as a favour to a mate and to also help Beta owners source parts, I have never charged Mark for this and is done a totally voluntary basis, as I do with admin of the forum.

My Beta has now been off the road for 3 years now  Sad, and what with work being away for 12 hours a day, and developing my photography business (spending 35 days a year at race tracks) most of my computer time is spent editing photos, or if you've seen my Facebook page you will get the idea  Smiley

I’ve become less active at events and on the forum,  but behind the scenes I’m still busy  keeping forum updated and backed up.

From my point of view the forum is very safe for the future, and I have absolutely no plans to move it on or use it to make money, it’s something I feel very proud to be part of.
If anything was to happy to me, my wife and close family know how much time I have put into the Forum, Matt and John B would be given all relevant information to keep it going  Wink

Where do we go in the future ?
1- I have thought about setting up a Beta Forum Facebook group, but looking at other clubs that have gone down this route, my own opinion is, valuable info could be lost, at least the forum has a search facility, and the pages also come up on a Google search, it would be good to hear other peoples thought on this?

2- I used to attend most events in the year with my Beta, but as mine is off the road I don’t get out as much as I would like, would anyone be interested in a role of Events Coordinator/s, (perhaps for different regions ?) we used to get great turnouts at most events we listed on our calendar.

3-Regarding the funding, it would be great if we could come up with a simple way to admin this, perhaps Mark would pay a set amount per year, then the rest via members/classified adverts??
any thoughts ??

4- Lastly I would like to thank everyone who has made the forum what it is today, no politics, no in house arguing, just a nice place to be   Wink Smiley Grin  

Thanks
Tony Harrison

1981 Beta Coupe 1600
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2015, 12:45:17 AM »

Hi Tony

Thanks for the full reply, and for all the unseen work and funding you put in. My two penny worth...

1) personally the format as it stands works really well for me and have no real interest in Facebook. I could be persuaded, but it would take a lot to get me to move to it.

2) I think classified ads funding is probably not going to work as most folk use Ebay anyway and there is likely a significant admin element to it.

3) I think a regular annual contribution would work best, ideally lots of small donation eg £5 to £10 where most folk would not find it too onerous IE a couple of cups to Costa coffee etc.

4) as to events coordinator, I would be interested in helping out once I have retired from my full time job in a couple of years time, but sadly not before, as with you no real time to devote to it at present.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
smithymc

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »

I agree with Peter, with the number of new members we seem to attract ( we now have over 1000 although clearly not all current/active) we should be able to get somewhere with a modest annual fee, perhaps with some sort of incentive for newbies- say free for 10 posts, £10 if you want to carry on?

Just my ramblings.

Mark
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »

I have to say that this site is an absolute treasure trove of Beta-related information and one that all who administer it can be justly proud of. It's a model for how a special interest site can be run and managed. If people are happy to continue with donations then that's fine, but I can't see how anyone could baulk at a modest yearly subscription fee.

With regard to Facebook, I've seen how FB tends to dilute the information that is at the heart of a site like this, and how difficult it is to retrieve old information from FB. It simply isn't designed for that. It's great for organising meets (but then so is this site), but I don't think any benefit would be gained from a FB page. Just my thoughts...

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Harpo

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2015, 12:10:06 AM »

Guys, i very much appreciate this forum, although my visits here are only just above those of Lord Lucan!
Face book isnt my thing and i dont see it as an improvement, but then i am a Philistine!
I have not yet made any contribution to the running of this site, sorry to say. Is there a Paypal option Tony?
I dont object to an annual membership cost, indeed i think it would be the thing to do.
Im sure that we all want this site to grow and improve. I plan to have my cars for a while yet!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: