Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:39:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Intake/Filter Housing Unit  (Read 3031 times)
capriblu

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 10, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »

I am attempting to tidy up the air intake unit on my car (S2).   The thermostatic flap to switch from warm to cool air has gone (no longer exists).  Is this really important?   Air must come through both ports, I don't have a hose connecting the rear port to the exhaust manifold.   What is best arrangement if flap isn't working?   Presumably dont want lots of hot intake air when engine is fully warmed up?    Also what is the device (see pic below) that sits inside the housing - it has connections for two air hoses (see second pic).   Where should the hoses connect to,  one is missing and the other connects to a junction on the inlet manifold.
Can somebody educate me please?

!980 2.0 Coupe - Owned since 1990
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:21:29 AM »

if I recall correctly the flap is operated by a device with a diaphragm a bit like a vacuum advance with a hook that pulls the air flap open/closed the device you show is a thermostatic valve that allows intake vacuum to pass to the diaphragm thereby opening or closing the warm air supply according  to the inlet air temperature
capriblu

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »

Thanks for that.  I vaguely seem to remember (c20 years ago) seeing a spring or other linkage from this device to the warm/cold air flap.    Does anybody still have a working air box and does it make any noticeable difference to cold driveability?

!980 2.0 Coupe - Owned since 1990
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:51:33 AM »

If you don't want to repair it it  will be fine in summer with flap fixed to cold air only but if you use car in winter especially on motorways without changing to hot intake you could experience carburettor icing up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: