Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:43:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another dumb question  (Read 1600 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: October 07, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »

Since I'm in the process of doing a long list of "off-season" work on my spyder and now I know I need to repaint the inner arches, the next question is what colour should the engine bay be?
I bought a second spyder for breaking last year and like mine, it was red and the inner arches and engine bay were black(ish)
So I'm thinking that maybe my engine bay needs to be repainted too.
Am I right?
Sad to say that mine was the first spyder I ever saw and the truth is I haven't had a look at an original one yet!

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »

Hi

Engine bay should be same colour as outer body, at least on the two I have bought S2pre and post F/L it was.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »

The engine bay is painted the same colour as the main body of the car on all series of cars, what sometimes happens is that the inner arches and/or the engine bay get coated in anti-corrosion treatment (Tuff-coat Dinol, Zeibhart etc)  so they end up black so the true colour is hidden. Its engine out and full engine bay strip of wiring and pipework if your going the whole hog.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »

In fairness to the original owner, he spent a lot on having the car properly resprayed back in 1988 with a finish that looks completely factory standard and would cost a fortune to replicate today, but everything not on the exterior got a very generous coat of matt black anti-corrosion something-or-other and has realy stood the test of time.
Having dry-stored the car for 22 years may have contributed in a big way to this, but I would love to get it back to original and if the engine bay needs stripping out, then I will have to give it serious consideration.
I've been toying with the idea of buying another Beta, possibly a coupe, to have while I'm overhauling mine but realistically unless I spend a huge amount for a decent car that's been fairly recently restored then I will just have two cars needing a lot of work so I'm thinking if I could spend this winter sorting the fiddly bits and have the car ready for spring, then next winter I might have it properly resprayed, work and subsequently funds permitting.
I have almost all the mechanical parts I need at this stage and it would give me a year to find the doors and the missing sill trims to have the body revived.

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: