Lancia Beta Forum
December 05, 2021, 12:30:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beta Meeta 50th Anniversary 2022
https://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4385.0

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spyder restoration - long time coming  (Read 44735 times)
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #420 on: November 24, 2021, 08:25:37 AM »

For performance Inlet 0.40 exhaust 0.45 should be the target with a standard engine. These clearances are huge compared to modern engines and modern cams. Tighter clearances have the valves open for longer. To play with things like this you need a head off engine and dummy belt/tensioner rig to study open close points potential valve clash etc. I am not recommending halving clearances (what you see with aftermarket cams) with Standard cams. I just wanted to provide some insight into what small clearances mean. Note valves that do not close enough equals compression loss and mixture blown down the exhaust pipe.

Eric 
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

« Reply #421 on: November 24, 2021, 09:55:59 PM »

I ordered the two shims from Eurosport yesterday afternoon and amazingly they arrived in the post today. Well impressed with their response to the order. I was also a bit concerned about if I have measured correctly, but need not have worried as they measure as expected. Next up putting them in the engine.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

« Reply #422 on: December 02, 2021, 11:31:20 PM »

The two new shims plus moving one of the existing shims finished the job. A fair difference, the engine now idles much more evenly and is a lot smoother and revs more freely, so very happy camper with the result of what was a fair amount of time and effort.

Next job is trying to improve the backlight on the display which I think is due to the led bulbs I used being mainly having the light facing forward. I have bought some alternative ones where the light goes sideways, so will see if that improves the situation.

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
  Print  

Jump to: