Lancia Beta Forum
September 24, 2021, 01:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta Parts
Lots of new items recently added
see: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spyder restoration - long time coming  (Read 42006 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #400 on: September 14, 2021, 11:19:59 PM »

Hi Eric

Thanks for the input, I will order up a lower temp one and see how it goes.

I have now done 700+ miles which have thrown up the issues noted before, but today was the get it very wet day. As most of you in England will have experienced today was a rather wet one, so decided it was time to test out a real world driving and sitting in the rain and see how the car coped. I was somewhat dreading this as there are numerous ways water can get into the car on a Spider and hence lead to the rotten floor etc commonly found. The issues found during the day were actually very little given the amount of rain. The seal I have on the doors meets in the top rear corner, but is not sealed as per original and a small amount of water came in via that small gap, but only withete heaviest rain and not during driving. The car was parked on a slight slope and a small amount of water came in the very front corner of the rear hood where my hood does not fit that well and was on the higher side. I could not see any other water ingress even during the 1.5 hour drive home. I will have a better look around the carpet tomorrow to assess if I have missed any more. The boot appears perfectly dry, again will take out the mat and just double check tomorrow.

One small job I have started on is the clock. This is an analogue type with an electric motor driven. I thought it would work ok when first powered up, but it randomly just stops after maybe a day or so. Moving the hands starts it off again. I took it off the dash and opened it up. The motor assembly comprises of the motor attached to a small circuit board which has two electrolytic capacitors amongst other items on it. Electrolytics have a history of failing after long periods of time, so I have ordered replacements and will apply a little oil to the moving parts and then leave it testing to see how long it runs for.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #401 on: September 15, 2021, 12:54:59 PM »

At least you don't have the digital clock. I bought a second hand one years ago and have never got round to testing or fitting it, which involves digging out the radio then the fiddly retaining plate/heater control cover.....
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #402 on: September 15, 2021, 02:37:11 PM »

Hi Neil

Still not that simple with this one as access is via the front screw on panel, but mainly via the speaker opening on top of the dash which is very awkward, already dropped a washer which will only be found if the dash ever gets removed again...!

The two caps on the circuit board have now been replaced and tried to drop a spot of oil on each of the gears via one of the dentist tools, dipping it in 3 in 1 oil and tapping against each cog. Now have left it balanced just outside the dash and running to see if it survives for more than a few days. Already sounds a little quieter, so fingers crossed.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  

Jump to: