Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:24:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: With a spider  (Read 4857 times)
thatwelshchap

« on: September 24, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »

Hi,
I recently bought the 79 spider off ebay, the one with 29000 miles. I bought it through nostalgia as I looked at one in the 80s and always regret not buying it. Now I'm not spending so much money on wine, women and rugby boots I thought I'd indulge myself. The car looks good, to me, just surface rust found so far and it had an MOT in 2010 so hoping it'll go through again next month.
Just saying hello and I'll be looking for advice soon, well now! I'll go to general discussion for help!
Alex
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »

Hi Alex

Welcome, you should find most of the answers/advice on parts you need here as there are many long term owners with a large amount of experience.

Cannot remember the car on Ebay, do you have the link?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Alex,

I'm trying to recall the Spider on Ebay but I too am getting old and cannot recall which one it was..

You have come to the right place for knowledge, parts and on some occasions....empathy!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
thatwelshchap

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »

This is the original link, tell me if it doesn't work,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lancia-Beta-Spider-/170894995490?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=tqsX0BF1TLy%2Fv%2FFTxQ%2BevwKUvvs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It was down south, Lymington. Has FSH and even the original warrenty. Zeebart from new and surviving well.
Hopefully no one is going to tell me its a rotter! Yet to put it on the road but hopeful it'll be OK. Last MOT advisories were weeping shocks and wheel bearings. I have bearings but looking for shocks. Having done research it looks like inserts and conversion if required. Need to check for that top nut first, so I gather. Unless someone can advise if a 79 needs the conversion.
Alex
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »

Hi Alex

Sorry, not the man on the shockers as not got round to changing any (yet). Looks very tidy and although pictures always lie, having taken delivery without any oh my god moments, it must be pretty reasonable. Search on the forum for wheel bearing replacement, according to a few it is not for the faint hearted to get the main nut undone.

The usual places where to check on rust are the base of the A posts where the front wing meets the sill, around the base of the rear turrets in the boot, the floor if water has leaked in and the sponge like carpet has helped to rot the floor out from inside. Mine also had the front inner and outer wings pretty well rusted. The other spot would need the rear seats lifting to check around the base of the rear turrets in the main cabin. I am sure others will have their pet places to check.

If yours has the liners on the front wings, then that would have helped some of the damage.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »

First thing you need to check is whether the shocks are sealed units or damper inserts.  Hope for the latter, otherwise you'll be converting them which is a bit of a faff and added expense.

Damper inserts are available from LanciaBetaParts.co.uk.  rear ones are easy to swap but fronts require spring compressors but are still quite easy to change over.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
thatwelshchap

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:02:11 PM »

That's good solid advice, thanks,
So I don't want to waste ordering time and i can't check the car for another 10 days. can you tell me if the inserts will be the same if they require conversion or not? if they are the same either way I'll buy them now.
and for a spider do i buy the coupe dampers?
cheers,
alex
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »

The Spider and Coupe started out as the same car on the production line so a large number of parts are the same. Pretty much everything other than the bodywork at the back in fact. So yes you need the coupe dampers and they are the same whether you have the rebuildable struts or not.

Stuart
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »

I would advise checking all four struts on the car, it's not uncommon that they may have been replaced at some point in the cars history and there's a mixture fitted.
 Don't just check one front and assume that all struts are the same type.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:41:57 PM »

The Spider and Coupe started out as the same car on the production line

interesting point and something often stated, have to say that i am far from convinced as there are so many structural differences, i really need to investigate this further but yes many major parts are the same
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »

I know what you're saying but I know this also to be true of the 406 coupe - they all started life as 406 saloon shells and I don't think they share a single comon panel with the possible exception of the floorpan! Even the inner wings are different on them.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »

the strange thing is that i can never recall seeing any photographs that prove this to be the case, i am fairly sure that the mechanical parts were probably fitted at lancia though so the cars possibly did go back and forth between them and zagato. even though it is hardly ancient history we'll probably never know for sure

Sent from my MOMO11 bird using Tapatalk 2
thatwelshchap

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »

well this seems like a helpful forum, thanks for the advice. thou I'm now a bit confused. but as my car is only 29000 miles and i've seen hopefully all the receipts without mention of modifying the struts i'll assume they are original and order the inserts now. I want to order now as I am overseas and want to start the work as soon as possible when i return. If i wait until I'm back and they take 21 days delivery I'll be pushed to fit them. I can't actually look at the struts as not with the car.
right off to spend some money,
thanks again for the advice, hopefully i'll bring the spider to a meet one day
alex
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »

be careful! at some point lancia themselves changed to sealed units  given the series of your car it is possible that sealed units are fitted, i can try to check the microfiche tonight to see what it says, in case there's a given change over is there any chance that you know the chassis number? if you have it pm it to me
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:51:10 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
thatwelshchap

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »

I finally have this spider on the road. Took a while as I couldn't do the work myself as I had back surgery. Eventually decided to bite the bullet and a garage did the work.....cost an arm and a leg, never again!!!
of course now its moving bits a re falling off...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: