Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:09:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: hesitation under load  (Read 12519 times)
capriblu

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »

The Bosch distributor for electronic ignition whether it is variant with vac advance or without can be rebuilt/refurbd and have a small but powerful trigger unit (c20mmx 30mm x 10mm) attached to the body of the unit at the point where the wires from the pickup unit exit.    Following recommendations on here (and elsewhere) I approached H&H Ignition services for advice.   I had my distributor rebuilt with trigger unit attached (to replace original control unit - Bosch black box) and supplied with new powerful 12V (non ballast resistor) coil.  Total cost was about £140 which I though was vgvfm.
Hi - pardon my ignorance, but what did you need to send to the H&H Ignition people for them to do the work? Is this their website or have I got the wrong people?

http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

Yes these are the chaps - very good, but very busy!

I sent the whole of my ignition system in a box for them to check over - leads, coil, dizzy and black box.  Nothing was found to be faulty but, in order to get strongest spark they suggested dizzy was rebuilt with an integral trigger/amplifier unit to replace bosch black box + a new straight 12V coil (in place of ballasted Bosch unit)

!980 2.0 Coupe - Owned since 1990
credders

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:25 PM »

The Bosch distributor for electronic ignition whether it is variant with vac advance or without can be rebuilt/refurbd and have a small but powerful trigger unit (c20mmx 30mm x 10mm) attached to the body of the unit at the point where the wires from the pickup unit exit.    Following recommendations on here (and elsewhere) I approached H&H Ignition services for advice.   I had my distributor rebuilt with trigger unit attached (to replace original control unit - Bosch black box) and supplied with new powerful 12V (non ballast resistor) coil.  Total cost was about £140 which I though was vgvfm.
Hi - pardon my ignorance, but what did you need to send to the H&H Ignition people for them to do the work? Is this their website or have I got the wrong people?

I sent the whole of my ignition system in a box for them to check over - leads, coil, dizzy and black box.  Nothing was found to be faulty but, in order to get strongest spark they suggested dizzy was rebuilt with an integral trigger/amplifier unit to replace bosch black box + a new straight 12V coil (in place of ballasted Bosch unit)

it might of been just the coil then?
capriblu

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »

it might of been just the coil then?

I tried a different coil before having work to dizzy completed.  I'm convinced the amplification/signal from the original black control box is rather weak.

!980 2.0 Coupe - Owned since 1990
credders

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 07:06:56 AM »

Yes. H and H know there stuff and it makes sense to upgrade a known weak spot on what must be a dated system.
gatewright

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »

I thought i would report back from my rolling road session to cure hesitation, garage says car runs perfect but the throttle cable started to break and was sticking all over the place so had to drive back home with elastic bands pulling the carb closed , as you can imagine this isno way to test car but car certainly felt good but not totally convinced yet, after reading about the ignition system problems i think this is more likley to be my problem, have fitted new cable now but also in process of fitting speed sensor to speedo cable (classic rally) so not in position  to road test, will let you know asap, Question, can you fit new electronic internals fromm h & h ignition yourself.   
credders

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »

Thanks for the feed back. Keep us informed.
credders

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »

did you get this sorted?
gengis

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »

Just read this post...it's a similar problem I had on my 1.6 HPE, it turned out to be air leaks between the butterfly spindle and carb body.  Got a carb service kit which included two quadrants of PTFE tape (that's what they looked like!) which were wrapped round the spindle where it's in contact with the carb body (bearing surfaces).

Cured my problem...can be checked by spraying some WD 40 round the spindle where it exits the carb body, and if the engine note changes then there is unmetered getting into the manifold.

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: