Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Uprated starter motor (PowerLite)  (Read 2924 times)
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Graham Stewart

« on: September 04, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »

While trawling the web (as you do) I stumbled across some blurb for uprated starter motors. According to their ad, these starter motors (PowerLite is the trade name, made by EuroLec) have the following advantages:

• Around twice as powerful so they run faster and start the engine regardless of temperature or compression
  • They draw about half the current of an original starter putting less strain on the battery and starting when the battery is in lower condition
  • Weight can be reduced up to 50% from conventional starters
  • The starters are usually smaller and easier to fit than the standard starter motor

It all sounds very good, but I'm wary of claims like these. If something sounds too good to be true, it normally is. They don't have a fitment for Fiat/Lancia twin-cam engines on their application list, but they do have some fairly esoteric kit on there, so I guess they could be persuaded to produce a Fiat/Lancia fitment. Here's the link to their web page:

http://www.powerlite-units.co.uk/starter.htm

Has anyone heard of this company, and/or heard any reports about their starter motors? I'm waiting for a call back from their sales guy, so may have more to add a little later.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »

no experience with these, I would agree that they seem a good idea but compared with refurbishing an original starter they are quite pricey. I think that for road use I'd be happy with an original starter. Back when I was running a tatty 2.0ie coupé I used to carry around a long bar and a big hammer to rattle the starter back into life  Grin   
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »

Ditto Peter - I carried a 2 foot 6" length of wooden curtain pole - for lumping the starter every so often when it stuck.

Came in handy for other things too once or twice!  Smiley

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »

Graham

I do not have any Powerlite versions but I do have 2 from Cambridge Motorsport and they all tend to be Denso units with Alloy adaptors for example Wasp also supply them. I have had mixed experiences having a unit fail in a short period of time i.e. less than a year. Also the throw was not correct for the distance to the flywheel i.e. the adaptor plate was too thick so only 3mm of flywheel ring gear was being engaged. They are however significantly lighter and smaller and spin a high compression 2000 engine easily. I currently have a factory Bosch starter that is doing an excellent job. NB it performed far better with a higher amp load bridge wire to the alternator and better chassis earthing.

Eric
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

Cheers Eric - yes, my understanding is that it's the same unit, just the mounting plate differs between applications. Where did you get your Bosch unit from? My starter is beginning to show signs of age - spinning without turning the motor or sticking every so often, so I'm on the lookout for a replacement.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: