Lancia Beta Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:59:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition Switch Replacement  (Read 6059 times)
capriblu

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 05, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »

Having just got my car running properly again after spending several weeks sorting out a misfire issue I was presented with the next challenge -  The lock mechanism in the ignition switch seems to have failed, can turn key to remove sterring lock and just far enough to switch on ignition.   Managed to set up a temporary "hot wire" arrangement on a manual switch to activate starter but need to remove and replace ignition switch.

Some help/advice would be appreciated ...........

Presumably I can just take out switch/barrel mech from steering column mount rather than taking the whole assembly from the column?

Assume that switches new or s/h with keys are like hens teeth?  Are there any alternative mods / substitutes?

Will a X19/MonteCarlo switch fit/work on a Beta?

Huh?Huh??

Again any help, advice, inspiration would be much appreciated.

!980 2.0 Coupe - Owned since 1990
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »

if I remember correctly you need to be able to turn the key to a certain point and then you will be able to push in a sprung pin which will allow the barrel/switch to be removed, i think there may also be a securing screw too. Don't remember too well some one will doubtless confirm. I think some fiats are the same part but don't remember which   
St Volumex
Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »

Hi AJ, these ignition switches are complicated, but quite robust apart from what goes wrong - mostly 80's plastic!  Tongue

It gets brittle from heat (probably too much electrical current going through it) but QBond superglue and powder can make quite a good repair.

In some cases the screw which holds the key barrel in is ground off, making it more difficult to remove, but not impossible.

I'll post some pics in a few days to show you what's inside.

I've heard that the Fiat Panda ignition (still available) is a fit, but haven't tried it.

Regards,
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:51:54 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc. etc.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »

End time: Sep 5, 2012 11:26:00 PM Item: LANCIA BETA COUPE' BLOCCASTERZO ORIGINALE NUOVO URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261078703053 Alt URL: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANCIA-BETA-COUPE-BLOCCASTERZO-ORIGINALE-NUOVO-/261078703053
capriblu

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »

End time: Sep 5, 2012 11:26:00 PM Item: LANCIA BETA COUPE' BLOCCASTERZO ORIGINALE NUOVO URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261078703053 Alt URL: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANCIA-BETA-COUPE-BLOCCASTERZO-ORIGINALE-NUOVO-/261078703053

Thanks for this link -  I've taken a punt!

Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

One listed today on eBay uk too (Irish seller).
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »

Yep - I think thats Frank aka "Droptop" on here.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 04:20:30 AM »

Yeah, that's mine all right.
It came off an '81 spyder and if you want it, I'll take it down and you can have it for the starting price plus postage.
Just let me know.

Rust never sleeps
capriblu

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:37:31 AM »

Thanks for all the help & advice.

Brand new switch and lock mechanism / casing as per original ebay link arrived from Italy today, excellent service - less than a week from buying.  Perfect nick in original Sipea box + two original Lancia Keys.

Was hoping to remove just the switch but the original mechanism has seized so that I cannot turn key far enough to enable release pin to be depressed fully to permit release.  Tried to butcher and bludgen the unit out of the column mounting casing but without success.  Steering column is now on the bench awaiting attention of a dremel to remove the casing (job for tomorrow) - couldn't drill shear bolts out.

droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »

No need to drill them out.
A centrepunch lovingly applied at an acute angle to the outer edge of the tapered "head" and tapped in an anti-clockwise direction should loosen them enough for you to simply ermove them by pressing the end of your finger hard against the end and screw them out.
Once you get them through a quarter turn, they usually rotate very freely.
Alternatively, a junior hacksaw can be used to cut the bolts between the faces of the two halves and again the remains of the bolts should unscrew with the tip of your finger.

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: