Lancia Beta Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I getting old or is just another language I need to learn?  (Read 1395 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« on: July 27, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »

Ok, so after a lot of arguments we (the missus and me) finally managed to agree on buying a new (to us) car.

General rules were

From the missus

1) Has to be more recent than the Chrysler Voyager we just sold (2005)
2) Has to be less miles

From me

1) Has to be interesting, fed up with boring boxes, but would need to be an auto sadly as need hand controls...

I won't bore you with the process, but we ended up with Saab 9-3 cabrio, and very nice it is too.

So on to the meat of the post, which is that I subscribed to the UK Saab forum to see what activity there was on there and see if I could learn a bit about them as never had one before.

There are some pretty knowledgeable folk on there from the looks of it and I came across this post today which really illustrated the difference between the older generation of cars like the Betas and the the ones now in terms of keeping them going, and really hope I do not have many problems with it!

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99899&sid=64542e32e01cf973c3f2c292645002ed

Definitely happy to stay with the Beta, as I will need a dictionary to decipher all the terms used in this post. Being a computer engineer I do come across a lot of 'in the trade' acronyms, but did not quite expect so many on 90s cars.......

All in all, happy to keep with my points based distributor and carburettor, simples (normally!)

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »

Being as I'm a kindly old gent....

MAF  .. mass air flow (sensor)
ECU.  .. electronic control unit
VSS.   .. vehicle security system
DI.     .. direct injection
VIN.   .. vehicle identification number
TECHII. fault reading device/software

Hee hee.  ;~})
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »

it all adds to the challenge our ZT and TF provide ample technical puzzles but there is always a great satisfaction in beating the system and doing repairs that would be mega expensive at a dealers at least fighting off rust is a thing of the past with these modern machines, well at least in the case of the ZT unfortunately the TF has all the hallmarks of being assembled and painted by chimpanzees! Great fun to drive though   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: