Lancia Beta Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:19:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Glorious Fuel!  (Read 1474 times)
Tony B

« on: July 25, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »

Hmm,

Remind me never to trust the fuel gauge again. Remind me also not to drop the tank on the assumption there's only half a tank in her.......... Having lost a very long post chronicling tales of Sunday's efforts to change the quarter glass and fit the n/s mirror, not to mention the fuse and window regulator Rogers & Hammerstein that ensued; not sure where that went; it was time to investigate the fuel 'issue'.

My ie. is slow to start and then the new pump (and it's mate the new filter, clips, pipes and pump bracket supports and so forth) conspire to sound like one of those cheap garden chippers from Aldi, when someone's trying to feed a giant redwood into it!! It also does'nt like any accelerative load, runs like a 1952 Leyland Atlantean sometimes and then runs great. Aha, don't be fooled, like some shadowy figure from a 70's public information film..."it waits to catch the unaware" and splutters to a sodding halt - usually mid turn or when something with more than 6 wheels is steaming toward you - cheers for that.

So we've been here before and clearly it's crap from the tank, dodgy fuel, too much additive and at the very least the pump needs examining. It doable without dropping the tank but it's easier pushing a cow up our stairs (I've done it before but if ever given the choice of doing so, and the alternative being whacking my nether regions repeatedly in the fridge door; the fridge it is...

Anyway, the usual, breathers, nuts, clips and related items undone or removed, and by the way all the recent Waxoyl did look splendid over most of my arms;  we carefully handballed the tank down onto terra firma   Shocked Only snag was that it was clearly full and the scramble to get the mains inspection light out of the way would have been a funny one to tell in the burns unit when the bandages came off......

Having then let '97 Ron' the new fragrance by BP subside, I (actually my mate) noticed the wider feed pipe had clearly been kinked. In fact it was positively Ray Davies!!! This would perhaps explain the noise and inconsistent idle, lack of grunt etc, etc??? Huh? Anyways, decision made to change the pipe, lose an inch in doing so and in the true Haynes tradition, repeat process in reverse order. It's all up and in but needs finishing tomorrow. So as they used to say in all the best old serials on TV, tune in next time when you'll here our hero say "oh FFS. it's just the f"+*^** same"....

Well let's hope not and until then, I'm enjoying my fume induced stupor and I'm off to see my Mate Ventolin.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:06:48 PM by Tony B » Logged
mtulloch

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »

Grin
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »

Hi Tony

And the result was......?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Tony B

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »

So it's all back where it should be, fired her up, checked for leaks (none) and she runs better, sounds better and the pump's quieter than the new kid at a boarding school. If truth be told I couldn't be bothered shifting the other cars in front of the garage and sneaking down the road (no MOT yet Oscifer) but now confident she'll go properly and not make me the focus of hatred for Tattooed man in his empty tipper truck - does anyone know why they drive like they think you ran off with their Wife??

Any road up - all this for a soddin' kinked pipe - Doh!

So it's outer CV boot and then off to take my chances with the Ministry. Wish me luck and hopefully the end is in sight. Just got my new belt and tensioner too so there's always things to keep you occupied. I'll keep you posted.

Tony B.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:56:25 AM by Tony B » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: