Lancia Beta Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan Switch II - The Quest for Cool.  (Read 1301 times)
Tony B

« on: July 21, 2012, 09:32:53 PM »

Ah it all seemed so simple.......

Fan to local rad company to get the 29 year old switch out (the wacky forward facing one mind). So the switch was liberated from it's chemical/electrical impass and £110 later and new rad cores (nice job I have to say) and we're on again!

I'd stripped, cleaned and repainted the fan cowling and took the blades off to check and clean. Good stuff. The newly painted front panel brace was showing the N/S up so off that came and I got busy with the wire brush and satin black (again) and it looks okay. It also gave me chance to fit better (cleaner) 13mm bolts at the front and tidy up the longer bolt and rubbers for the engine brace. So, rad in carefully (new switch and cleaned earth 'ring' in) the new switch needed a change from male to female for the live feed from the fan and the longer earth cable found a newly cleaned place on the earth 'tree' below the headlight.Two earlier snapped connections renewed, fan back on and connected up (I bridged the wires to check the fan would go and indeed it did  Smiley

So, I swapped the top and bottom hose clips and the header feed for good measure. Bear in mind it's had a new stat and water pump too, this baby should be cooler than a polar bear's gonads when everything works.... shouldn't it?...

In went the blue stuff (lots) and I fired her up, and waited.......I have to say I find it stressful waiting for the inevitable disappointment of watching the temp dial exit stage right but hell; ya' never know.... well you don't!

So stat opens eventually, no leaks from hoses, air out of the header so cap on and the fan switch is also drier than a martini. And still we wait..... and the temp gauge likes it around the middle........tick tock......tick tock.....

Guess what...? It crept slightly high of centre and....the bloody fan only cut in!!!! Grin Well it was Aguero in the 94th minute all over again.

The moral is I guess that this is why we love these cars, they disappoint and delight in equal measures but when you done something right; well you know what I mean. I for one am a happy chappy tonight - happy days!

Tony B.
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »

Tony

Well done!! The satisfaction of doing it right is yours so feel proud.

Cheers

Eric
PS I love the write up
Tony B

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »

Thank you kind Sir, need to get the brakes bedded in - on a private road of course Officer....fed up of having to retrieve the anchor and parachute. If the weather holds I'll sort some other minor stuff out but I'm saving the outer CV boot for in the week. I just want to keep it simple given recent events as otherwise we may well end up rescuing my own personal BEF from the sodding beaches again.

Regards,

Tony B (with the ie.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: