Lancia Beta Forum
April 04, 2020, 01:25:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2020 events calendar filling up nicely
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=88.0

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petrol Filler Cap  (Read 1473 times)
Ammy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 13, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »

When I release the screwed filler cap on the petrol tank, I always get a "hissing" sound.  Not sure whether it's air coming out or going in. Comments please on whether  this is normal.   B.T.W  I have an aluminium tank. Ammy
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:08 PM »

Its likely that it's sucking air in when you unscrew the cap, as fuel is consumed it creates a slight vacuum inside the tank.
The hissing is it equalising.

I have seen some cars with a small hole drilled in the cap to stop vacuum building up.  Or you can check your fuel tank vent pipe is not blocked or kinked, I managed to compress my vent pipe and after driving 100 miles the vacuum drew the fuel back into the tank and the car didn't fancy starting for a while.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you send the wall across the field once youve hit it.
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:39:05 AM »

THAT'S why mine is difficult to start after a long journey, and I have the hissing!
Thanks Matt.
Problem solved without even having to ask Grin

Rust never sleeps
Ammy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »

Rather than drill the filler cap,  I decided to drill a small hole in the breather hose to the filler neck and insert a piece of "washer pipe" which then follows the overflow pipe through the bottom of the rear wing.  Same result.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: