Lancia Beta Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:38:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fan Switch - To Boldly Go.........  (Read 1922 times)
Tony B

« on: July 12, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »

Changed the top cover gaskets, changed the air filter and then 'bridged' the fan switch (never recalled it facing outwards toward the bumper) and happy days, the fan sparked into life - even the bearing was quiet! So tonight I ran the car up to as hot as I dare (to boldly go) and despite the thrutching about with connections, cleaning the earth to the anchorage 'tree' etc, damn thing wouldn't work. Conclusion, new switch required??!

It has three connections, two to the main body (I assume this is the circuit made when the switch, well, switches); and there's an earth (spade connection) to the body lower down?? It looks like it could be on a ring which fits around the middle - if so, do you keep this and add to the replacement. Confused.com - any experiences of this?? The car took its time getting very hot (but not allowed into red territory) - maybe a good sign but the fans obviously needed when plan B is required.

Any info appreciated.

TB
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »

The fan switch should be in bottom corner on the near side facing toward the engine.

Sounds like there's been something funny going on with your radiator set up. Is your radiator an original Lancia version?

I'd definitely stick a new fan switch on.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Tony B

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »

Hi Matt,

Seems my rads' a bit oddball - switch pointing forward not aft, think I've worked out the three connections thing, seems existing switch is odball too. Three wires from out of switch - earth separate!!  Anyways, the replacement (ebay) has three wires via two connections - it has to do the same things so I guess we'll work it out. It's OE standard (Valeo) so should revert back to standard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320942806487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_941wt_1037

Cheers again for the info - may have a punt on your mats later (Matt's mats??). Last thing, timing belt for the ie. - 1 inch wide, 104 teeth??

Regards,

Tony.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »

AFAIK some cars have two wires and some three I don't know when/why it changed but also bear in mind that very late cars had aluminium rads with plastic end tanks (from about Oct 1983 build date) which the sensor wouldn't earth to and could have something to do with it but having said that i think the 3 wire sensors pre date that change.   
Tony B

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »

Many thanks - TB
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »

timing belt has 148 teeth and the standard one is narrower than 1 inch, I believe that GC supplies a 1 inch belt, the 104 teeth is an incorrect listing I don't know for sure but suspect this could be the air con belt
Tony B

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »

Thanks for the heads up,

Regards,

Tony.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: