Lancia Beta Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:42:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's that burning smell............?  (Read 2350 times)
Tony B

« on: September 09, 2012, 08:33:39 PM »

It's slightly off at a tangent but the Dad of a class mate of my eldest Daughter used to have a Voyager (yes I know, don't say it) and he recently finally got rid of it. Imagine my delight when an 11 plate Delta arrived, in gleaming white - yes the badges say Chrysler but you're with me so far. I know that there are kits on the net which 'allow' you to return it to it's rightful origins; but not really having much knowledge of cars (there's the Voyager explained) I brought him up to speed on where his 11 plate actually came from.

He seemed reasonably impressed given he's seen my Coupe (does that sound vaguely rude?)  Undecided but I guess for some people a car is well, just a car. Anyway, I'd only managed a quick look round it externally but on a walk through the village this morning I saw in the distance, the unmistakable outline of the 11 plate half up on the pavement with School Dad stood next to it looking a bit lost. It's one of those situations whereby when you're not sure if you're needed or not but I crossed over and offered to help.

He'd popped the bonnet but couldn't find the latch (soon sorted) and School Dad proceeded to tell Doctor Tony about the Patient's symptoms. These included, lack of power, noise and a strong burning smell. My thoughts drifted to my Wife's cooking for a moment but a quick look around the engine bay turned up no apparent issues but the Lancia battery, and other familiar ancillaries, clips, seals and so on; I recognised the multiair engine and so forth from Fiats, and this just served to confirm this was clearly a Lancia with a questionable badge  Wink Anyway a quick walk round the rear of the car revealed that tell tale smell and radiating heat from the n/s rear hub - yep, as I'd done in beta coupe years before; it seems School Dad had let his sterio win the sound battle with his handbrake warning 'beeper'.

So handbrake released and a run around the block served to confirm there was no real harm done but it begs the question that if people are willing to buy a Lancia (sorry Chrysler) and particularly those people who have no association; romantic or otherwise with the marque, then how succesful would Lancia be if they really made the effort? The point was made in the 'lens' link earlier that the rust issue is long forgotten and a look at the new Flavia serves to confirm they have an attractive range - at least one which could hold its own? Because I guess my point is that without additional vehicles coming to the UK, any future classics won't be realised and there will (God forbid) come a point whereby time, parts and the existing vehicles to use them on will dwindle to the point we all dread. Find a dead MGB and the ring Heritage for your new shell - you take my point I hope.

I hope we don't get there, I'm sure we will prevail but having sold it's soul to Chrysler, would they ever really bother with the UK again - and would we buy one anyway??? I does feel a bit like an old flame you still care about being with a new partner you hate - logical, reasonable; but you just hate it anyway.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:55:29 PM by Tony B » Logged
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »

We had a similar discussion a while back on another site, and apparently it's Chrysler who have sold out to Fiat!
Now, I don't know how accurate this information is, but it came from a Fiat/Chrysler main dealer so unless a car salesman is lying, and how low are the chances of THAT, then the heritage remains more or less intact.
I'll be interested to see the UK "party line" on this.   

Rust never sleeps
Tony B

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »

Interesting point indeed. I'd though that Fiat's financial woes would make them slightly more eceptive to overtures from other suiters??! It would be nice if they did come back (as I think we secretly all do) but I'd suggest the party line on their UK intentions would perhaps be nil points.  Sad
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »

BTW the 'Flavia' is a genuine Chrysler rather than a re-badged Lancia. There was a long debate on the LMC Forum along these lines some time ago. The bottom line is that Fiat are determined to stick to the Chrysler brand in RHD markets.
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »

So is the Thema-a Chrysler 300C in all its tacky glory, but somehow appealing in a hard-to-describe way.
I feel like painting one purple and driving it into a swimming pool!

Rust never sleeps
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »

So is the Thema-a Chrysler 300C in all its tacky glory?

In a word, yes!
Tony B

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »

Flavia a Chrysler? - cue cartoon eyes on stalks and bull horn noises!!! Guess it's pooh round corners, has horrific interior and leaf springs...... Wink

I do agree with Droptop - although just a box of matches for the Thema  (the 300c)......
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: