Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:19:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stumped ~ Monte Woes ~  (Read 3762 times)
The_Matrix_Master

« on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »

Decided to leave the Beta Spyder in the garage and have been using my Monte
After travelling  a round trip of 80 miles the monte lost power 3 miles from home and cruised to a halt ,I could not get the engine to fire up although the  starter was strong.I got recovered home and after the car was deposited on my drive 1 1/2 hours later I put the key in and it started 1st time.
I have tried to use the car twice since and after a mile either the engine cuts out or after I turn the engine off I cannot get it started.
It now wont start at all.
I have checked the Dizzie and Rotor all seem to be OK
I have checked the coil with a plug out and am getting a spark
The Monte is running on twin webbers and have taken the filters off and can clearly see that they are getting fuel.
So I am getting spark and fuel is getting delivered to the carbs,Its a S2 monte with a Marelli Distributor so no points or condenser, what else is there to check?
Am I missing something here any ideas ?
 Sad
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »

Hi

Always annoying if intermittent, but if it is now not starting at all and you get the good smell of petrol in the exhaust when trying to start it, then look to the ignition, try swapping the coil as simple starter as they can give odd results and given the temp related original issue I would suspect that as a start or coil related issue such as bad earth?

Just my 2 penny worth.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
The_Matrix_Master

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »

Thanks for the info
To clarify :
Can a knackerd Coil still produce a spark and likewise can a spark be too weak to ignite the petrol ?
If so then as sugguested 1st port of call may be a new coil as the one thats currently installed looks original i.e 30 years old.
 Sad
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »

Hi

On reading some of the issues on this and other forums, there are cases of where the coil appears 'ok' with plug out of the engine, but still have real ignition problems. Changing the coil resolves the problem. The reason I suspected this originally was it failed when run for a while, though I guess does not stack up with you not being able to start from cold now. The other thought I had is dizzi related, but obviously the coil is an easy one to change and not too expensive or you may even be able to borrow one to test from someone on the forum.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
monte

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »

Hi, Had a problem somewhat like your experiance , would run and then stop , but then when left for a while it ran fine again , it turned out to be the Hall pickup in the distributor , due to the passage of time the insulation to the pickup cables had become brittle . Its worth having a detail look at the pickup coil and cables.

1984 Beta Coupe VX
1985 Beta Coupe IE
1980 Montecarlo Spyder
1989 Integrale HF 16V
1989 Thema 2000IE
1991 Thema 2000IE
The_Matrix_Master

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »

New coil arrived today and after a 10 minute swap with the old coil,turned the key and it burst into life after laying dormant for 3 days.A 2 mile test run and it appears OK (fingers crossed).
I have to say I have learnt something here,I would have never guessed that any coil delivering a spark to the plugs could be a potentially faulty coil?
AH but we live and learn !

Huh?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »

Hi

That sounds like a full result then and should have been fairly inexpensive one as well. The comment about the pickup was interesting and I suggest you check it as well just in case.....

All the best

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »

Matrix Master

I was just about to reply to your email and I saw this. Had I found the time to reply I would have pointed you at the dry pattern coil as used on IE and VX as a superior design and more likely to match the right impedence/ resistance values for the high power electronic amplified Monte S2 ignition than the eBay part you highlighted. I know International Autos in the US supply a dry coil and amplifier package if you have further trouble. I do have the figures for the coil somewhere just not easily to hand.

Eric
The_Matrix_Master

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »

Thanks Eric,
I sourced a different coil from E-Bay which apparently is equivalent to a Lucas DLB198 this is less than 1.4 ohms which I believe is a requirement for electronic ignition of the S2 Monte.The goods news is the replacement coil was only £19 and appears to work OK (Time will tell),this was a fay cry away from the circa £75 vat inc price I had seen for a replacement coil from a well known Monte supplier.
I can't help seeing the funny side as I am driving an Italian car not known for its reliable electrics and what makes it fail ?
A British component ~ Lucas coil !!!!!

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: