Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:33:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Village Idiot.  (Read 1806 times)
Tony B

« on: June 04, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »

It seems I got the job without even applying for it Huh? You may have read some of the saga that was my fuel 'issues'; they started life as electrical and moved onto the renowned i.e. fuel tank..... rotten tank = rotten fuel = clogged & knackered pump & blocked injectors etc.

Well, with no fuel being delivered from a whiring (new) pump I decided to remove the tank and pump (yet again) and with the help of two wheelie bins, rigg up the pump to the tank (sat on the paper and card bin), added a bucket and then attached a couple of wires to a battery. It pumped fuel from the tank - Result! Every way I did it, sender in, result, breathers blocked, result, so in went the tank and pump. It had to work now - errr, no.

Nothing, pump whiring away but nil points fuel - doh! In fact DOH! By this time I so wanted to own a chainsaw to exact retribution (new pump, filter, pipes, fuel, clips) but non, nein, niet, not on your nelly fuel!! Grrr!!!!

Bear in mind that the replacement pump comes with threaded poles of different sizes (original pump has different sized spade connectors) so having soldered the new round connectors on like for like, I couldn't suss the issue with no fuel from the pump. However,,,,,,,,, (in desperation and in the last defence of my sanity) I disconnected the loom wires and pump to filter outlet and again went the battery and wires route. It pumped fuel.....??!!?? Sensing there was a door left open as the plane took off moment; I checked the 'live' wire on the loom when the maf flap trigger is activated - nothing. I checked the earth the same way and.....yep, it was live.....

So a quick cut, solder and wire swop later and it was petrol-tastic!!! Clearly the pump was a' pushin instead of pullin'.

So Ladies and Gents if this sorry tale does nothing else, it reminds me that it's invariably the little details that get you - DOH!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:40:02 PM by Tony B » Logged
Tony B

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »

NB: And she started! Water pipe tomorrow and then I can run her properly Cheesy
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »

Tony

We have all been there, well done on having the nerve to admit it! I learnt most of what I know from horrible mistakes, but at least I had the nerve to try.

Good on you

Eric
Tony B

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »

And so it goes... wrong water pipe, it seems the volumex and i.e. are different! Original pipe now with a mate who'll braze a patch over the very small crack in it. Cooling system clearly badly furred, new stat required, small hose too; and don't doubt rad won't be great when I get her up to temp.

Oh well, nobody said it was easy! Still got all the brake seals to come yet...
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »

Dear Tony,
well who'd have thought it. The photos you sent me were enough to convince me that the two were the same. How could Lancia decide to change "everything" just for the sake of it! It's only a water pipe after all. If I see you at an event sometime soon let me have it back, I'll see you right.
KBO,
Best,
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Huh?

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
Tony B

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »

One of those things - it'll do for another time no doubt!

Regards,

Tony
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: