Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:10:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Wiper Mod?  (Read 3260 times)
Badnews

« on: May 28, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »

Has anyone attempted a single wiper modification to the beta coupe? I have measured the middle wiper stem location and its as near as damn it dead centre to the screen.

If anyone has done it please shout up as to how & if you kept pics and measurements......

Cheers
Dan
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:52 AM »

I think this has not been done because the position of a centrally mounted motor would stop the heater flap from opening.  You could remove the flap but then you cannot control hot / cold air coming into the cabin and road cars would want to retain that ability.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »

Hi Dan,

This is something I have often thought about doing- as you say the centre wiper is within a few mm of being dead centre anyway. The problem would be motor location. Most single wiper motors that I've seen seem to be a direct-drive type of system, i.e. with the spindle coming straight out of the motor. It is impossible to locate the motor directly under the spindle location on a beta coupe due to the air intake for the cabin. If you could find a different type of single wiper motor then it would be perfectly possible I reckon- I've never spent any time looking into it so I don't know if any are available.
I did do this mod on a Monte 20 years ago and it looked great. I used a FIAT Uno motor, direct drive. If my memory serves me correctly there were no such locating problems on a Monte though.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
Badnews

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »

Thanks for the rePlies Smiley

I'm ditching my heater/airbox, there will be a tall 6cyl engine in it's place so I might have to modify the STD item. I do think though that with a small tweak of the mechanism it'd be easy enough to do.

Will look in to it further and report back Smiley
spud

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »

...a tall 6cyl engine...

Huh? Now, why would ya wanna do that...? Let us know what you're using and the expected gains, sounds very interesting and certainly different.

I do think though that with a small tweak of the mechanism it'd be easy enough to do.

I attempted to modify the original mechanism of the Monte in order to make it work with only one wiper when I did my experiment many years ago. Trying to get the right sweep of the screen by shortening/lengthening the mechanism etc drove me damn near insane... I'd be very interested in your results.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Badnews

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1689.0 for my project thread  Smiley

Be a while before I get to the stage of tackling the wiper mod though, just thought I'd put it out there and see if its been done before...save weight and improve looks at same time Smiley

Cheers
Dan
spud

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »

Thanks for the link, I hadn't noticed the thread before. I will watch with interest/fascination/disbelief... ha ha. Enjoy it- I always find the journey of restoration/rebuilding more satisfying than having the end result...

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: