Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:59:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: S3 i.e. Fuel Pump Relay  (Read 6710 times)
Tony B

« on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »

Hi Folks, I'm looking for my fuel pump relay and failing miserably!! Some slight tinkering by garage I bought it from and a story about isolating pump??So, there's no power to the pump or to the block connector in the boot - can only conclude it's the relay / fuse?? Can't locate the rascal!!

Please help if you can,

Regards,

Tony
 Sad
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »

Should be a double relay (pump/injectors) on
the drivers side suspension tower.
Tony B

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »

Hi Colonel,

Bosch units, black coloured -aha! Tinkering ahoy!

Many thanks,

Suits you Sir etc - lol!

Tony.
thecolonel
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

You should find a green in-line fuseholder
near the relays, often corroded inside.
Tony B

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »

Hi again, the fuse and holder have power either side of the fuse holder and the double elay (Bosch 0332 514 127) clicks when the ignition is on. I've tracked down the guy at the garage and will talk to him tomorrow but that said, there's still no juice to where the three wires go into the connector in the boot (reduces to two and goes on to the pump). Wiring break?? Can't see an immobiliser??!? It will fire when easystart is sprayed but I can't check injectors until fuel arrives - doh! Have I missed anything daft here??

Puzzled of Cheshire!!
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »

Take the induction hose off connecting air filter housing to air flow meter.
There's a flap in the air flow meter, push this open, you can wedge a screw driver in there or similar if you want, turn the ignition on.
Can you hear the fuel pump working?

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
Tony B

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up - the flap trick still doesn't stir the pump. I will however try this and see if the circuit tester  indicates at the block in the boot - seized pump if power gets there?. Tomorrow's instalment I think.

Regards,

Tony.
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »

I'll try post some pics up for you tomorrow night or thursday if your still not having any luck, just waiting to get my car back.
If I remember correctly the wire for the fuel pump, comes out of the relays and is a dark creamy, greyish colour, there's a connector not long after, then this goes the length of the car to the block connector.
Marcus

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
Tony B

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »

Marcus,

Thanks Mate, appreciated.

Tony.
Tony B

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »

May well have bottomed this out. The pump is primed when the flow meter 'flap' actuator? is opened. The pump started to squeak lazily and having undone the 15mm/19mm union for the injector rail - no juice. I can only conclude that a filter change (got one) and clean out of the pump may restore pressure / feed. Last time this happened on the i.e. I had years ago, I also ended up swilling the tank out with thinners....I don't doubt the mesh pick up in the tank may also be fouled??

Watch this space - also have a cracked cast coolant rail over 2&3 spark plugs! Anyone got one?Huh???

Doh!

Regards,

Tony
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:46:11 AM »

Dear Tony, if the part you are describing is the steel pipe that exits the top of the head and then turns 90 degrees parallel to the head over the plugs, then turns 90 degrees again, then yes I have one that came off my VX HPE. Is this the same pattern as your i.e?
If it is, let me know if you are going to Norwich this eekend. I will bring it with me.
Best of luck,
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO).
Happy to help.

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
Tony B

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:39:59 PM »

Hi Chas, thanks for the heads up. Working so will miss the meet - I will however post some pictures I took of the pipe, just let me know how best to get them to you.

Regards,

Tony B.
VXdeMayo

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »

Dear Tony, just post some pics up as attachments on the forum, and I will have a look on my return. If it is the same all it needs is a fresh coat of paint.
Best,
Chas.

Tony B

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »

Hi Chas,

Hope you had a good weekend - site tells me I've posted but nothing appeared (photos) yet, if they don't appear I'll send to you email - if this is okay

Regards,

Tony

Tony B

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

Finally got chance to remove the old fuel filter and have now managed to snap all three bolts on the bracket carrying the fuel pump - doh!! Need to seriously modify the rubbers to take bolts or hope some kind soul's got one?Huh?? Tank has still got to be drained an then removed.

One step forward etc.......

Tony
markwast
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 08:19:50 PM »

Hi, you can by mounting rubbers separately, as used with facet pumps.
Badnews

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »

Hi Tony, I have the bracket you've destroyed  Tongue

Drop me a pm if you want.

Cheers
Dan
Tony B

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »

Tank out without too much drama. A few clips and hoses needed to be replaced, tank swilled with thinners and then drained. Gonna try and get a 'new' pump and modify bracket / carrier - onwards and no surrender!!
Tony B

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »

Fuel - The Final Frontier......

The saga continues.... So I've removed the tank, renovated same, swilled it (twice), renovated the pump bracket (new rubber bobbin mounts too), new filter, all new pipes for feed and return, refitted tank, wrestled with the filler neck flexi, stuck two gallons of BP's best in her; then imagine my joy when there's nothing coming through at the union ahead of the injector rail... Sod the flow / volume, there's nothing!

I ran the pump with pipe off where it meets the metal feed through the car - nothing. Same again from outlet of pump, still nowt'. Then I can only conclude there's nothing being fed from the tank? I recall a thread regarding fuel startvation (particles sticking to the 'mesh' inside the tank). The 'pick up is described as looking like a "lobster pot" - check. Found that by (obviously) taking out the tank sender but (and here's the critical bit and so I'll go the Clarkson route); some say you have to pierce the screen to restore feed???

Is the fabled 'screen' on the fuel pick up under the disk directly in the middle of the lobster pot??!

Your wisdom in this matter would be greatly welcomed.

Tony (no fuel) Budgett.  Angry

VXdeMayo

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »

Dear Tony no fuel,
you have my sympathy ( but not much wisdom I'm afraid). I am watch your developments with interest, as I have problems myself with our VX. I am working my way back towards the pump isolating the three restrictors to prove/disprove their part in the problem.
I may have to drop and inspect the tank etc myself so please let us know if you resolve this!

On a lighter note, your water rail is on it's way to you. It caused a laugh in the PO, as they had not seen so funny a parcel for a long time!
KBO,
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: