Lancia Beta Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:30:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instrument exchange  (Read 5753 times)
wheelies

« on: May 07, 2012, 11:13:38 AM »

Hi
Can a series 1 beta spyder instrument binicle (with the green inserts on the face of the gauges) be swapped for a series 2FL binicle?
My series 2 has a gauge thats not regestering (the oil pressure gauge positioned top centre of the binicle).
Rather than swap the gauges and ending up having one green gauge (is that a vegetable?) I would rather swap the whole unit.

Regards
Brian
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »

I don't think the whole binnacle is interchangeable, though I may be wrong. I'm not sure that it will be aesthetically much good either.

Irrespective of this it is normally the oil pressure sender (a sort of tubular unit attached to the side of the oil filter housing) that fails rather than the gauge. Certainly worth checking before ripping out the whole instrument panel.
wheelies

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »

I might have the series wrong on the instrument binicle if you say they aren't interchangeable. Mine has danger areas coloured red and the rest of the gauge is black along the indicator markings

The one I have has the same dimentions and fits the opening secured with the four knurled bolts.
The guages are coloured orange green in the centre then at the danger level it's red. All the contacts for the wiring plugs have the same interlocking keys.so everything fits
My concern is that the speedo might be a different ratio (Gearing) and there might be some hidden differences in voltage etc. although I cannot see how.

Brian
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

Brian,

I'd take an educated guess that the binnacles would be interchangeable I've never actually tried though, but agree with Neil that it just won't look right for a starting point.

I would also agree that the most likely fault is the oil sender itself rather than the gauge, checked the wire is attached to the sender? Or tried shorting the wire that plugs onto the sender to see if the needle in the binnacle moves, that will at least prove what is faulty.

If its brown with round moulded sections round the speedo and rev counter then its S1 or early S2, if its black and there is a single rectangle of perspex over the front then its S2/FL onwards.

Lets us know...

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
wheelies

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »

Hi
Both binicles are black with the single piece of perspex over a rectangular box. The instruments are inlaid inside the box.
As described earlier one set of gauges are green and red the other set are plain black and red.

Could this be from an HPE? What does an HPE binicle look like? Wiil it replace the standard Beta binicle?

Brian
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »

Is there a green band on the rev counter?  If so its from a VX

They are going to be interchangeable without any modification. As they are both later design you won't have any voltage issues.  The bulbs may be a bit dim but you can swap them for brighter versions without issue.

I've swapped these around in the past and not come across any problems.

Aesthetically it will look fine too, I would say only the  purists would pick up on the differences or concours judges.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »

For what it's worth I have an instrument binnacle from a VX that is spare, if that is what you require. To my knowledge the only difference to a standard carb or injection model unit is the speedo reads to a higher maximum. PM me if you are interested.
Chas(VXdeMAYO).

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
wheelies

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:41:57 PM »

following the previous  postings I thought I would post a picture. Hope this supports my description.
I tried to follow the link telling me how to download a picture greater than the site supports using Paint.com.

If it doesn't come out I can only apologies.
Brian

* IMG_3109.JPG (534 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 429 times.)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »

This is a S2 post facelift binnicle (black dash, remote mirrors etc.) Is this what you've take out or what you want to fit? obviously it will be fine for any facelift model.
wheelies

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »

Thanks Neil for that information. I will fit it at the weekend.

Thanks to everyone else for their help.
Badnews

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »

On a random sidetracking note, can anyone tell me what the bottom right gauge shows....I notices there's a little vac pipe running to a dipstick but I'm stumped as to what it should be showing.....my only guess could be something to do with breathing in the crankcase??

Cheers
Dan
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »

A very inaccurate oil level gauge. By pressing in the knob next to it, and releasing it should give a reading, I presume it works on the amount of air in the crankcase/dipstick.

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
raz1966

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »

if you want an oil pressure guage for your original dash i have got one you can have.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: