Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:47:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX vacuum advance tube puzzle: bad running!  (Read 3209 times)
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 20, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »

Dear wise men,
please can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a "restrictor" in the vacuum advance tube from the distributor to the carb body? Because with my running VX I have found one, and on my donor VX the tube is not restricted. When purchased, the car had the tube disconnected from the carb, and the timing was quite a bit out. There was occasional bad pick up and "stubbling off throttle", which has persisted and got worse now we have correctly tuned / timed the VX. I have removed the tube, filled a glass of water and attempted to blow bubbles into the glass etc and it seems completely blocked!
I am aware that there is supposed to be a restrictor within the vacuum advance system that governs the water heated carb manifold system etc, and that is in place.
Lulu at present is pretty undrivable!
Help.
All the best,
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Huh?

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

Dear wise men,
news! the "restrictor" withen the vac advance tube was...... a 1/4" ball bearing! This placed there by the previous owners mechanic to try to affect a bodge tune up to the VX system. This explains the fact that that tube was off the car when I purchased it, the timing was way out  and the vac system was effectively bypassed!
So a third timing up and tuning session will have to be done before Norwich! I hope this does not expose another new glitch!
Any help / comments would be welcome.
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO) Shocked

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: