Lancia Beta Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:51:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Manual Steering Rack wear.  (Read 5325 times)
dougdee123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 31, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »

Hi All,

At the last MOT test my coupe (1981 2.0 manual extensively rebuilt and a full blown money pit) passed but the tester provided an advisory that 'Play in steering appears to be in the body of rack'. The rack is , I believe, a ZF type with the damper on top.

I am not actually aware of any such play but I imagine he will check to see if it has worsened in the last year. Where might I be looking for this? Is the bush where the splined shaft attaches to the steering column a likely candidate? Alternatively, I see that there is a certain amount of oily deposit around the damper. Could that be on its way and the absence of damping show up rack movement. Or alternatively again, I see that it is possible to adjust the backlash in the rack. Is that where the most likely problem is?

The Track Rod ends were replaced about 10 years ago at the rebuild. I know that sounds a long time but the car hasn't done so many miles since. The gaiters seem good.

It would also be good to know whether the concensus is that it is best to fix it or better to replace with an exchange unit. If replacement is the answer then how much can I expect to pay? I haven't found anywhere that will do them yet.

Any information or suggestions will be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Doug
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »

Hi Doug

The bushes that wear on the ZF manual rack are available from www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk look under "steering parts". I overhauled two racks recently, it's not a difficult job to be honest.  I replaced gaiter and track rods at the same time and had the arms zinc plated.

The damper may be hard to find. It's likely that yours has failed due to age/ wear.  At some point I need to find an alternative item that fits and performs like the OEM item. Or look into whether they can be refurbished.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »

It's most likely the steering arm bushes that have play in them they are about £21. A new gaiter is about £15 and inner bush is about £14.

But worth asking the tester where the play is, sometimes they mark with yellow chalk.  Things like steering racks, I buy a spare one, refurb it myself then swap them over to minimise how long the car is off the road. Then refurb the spare.

I've seen refurbished racks on eBay with no damper for £80.00 but i don't recall if they say what has been replaced as part of the refurb. 

Hence doing it myself!!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
dougdee123

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »

Matt,

Thanks very much for that. I'll order up the parts and set to. I would like to do the renovate then exchange in the way you suggest but the spare rack I have is temporarily un-available because it is in the roof of a house that is let out. Maybe I'll see what I can find on e-bay.

Best Regards,

Doug
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »

Might be worth posting something in the "parts wanted" section.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »

I've got a couple of spare manual racks. The dampers on both are shot but otherwise they'd be fine to recondition.

They're a bit awkward to post but I might be able to arrange something.

Whereabouts are you?
dougdee123

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »

I'm not so far from you. I'm in Cambridge. Whereabouts in Suffolk are you? I could zip across before disassembly.

Doug
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »

Bury - sounds like you have a solution !

I'm around most evenings after 6:30

PM me to discuss.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: