Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lulu's" VX vacuum pipework: can anyone tell me how it works please?  (Read 4134 times)
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »

Dear All,
following on from purchasing Paul Greenway's HPE VX recently, I am sorting small niggles out within the engine bay. The outright performance from the start was not as I had expected, and she is a little thirsty at present so I have been checking the settup of the carb etc.
When I bought it the car had the vacuum advance pipe off the carb!? It ran ok apart from cutting out a couple of times once things were fully warmed up. I tried to find the slow running idle screw but by mistake turned the fast idle screw  on the Vacuum auto choke instead! Since then it seemed to be better?? (by luck). Now I have carefully disconnected the mechanical linkage and turned that screw again the car runs like a pig. Balls out or nothing, no idle and continually cutting out at junctions when the clutch is depressed.
So I have taken the carb off the car, carefully cleaned it inside and out, blown throw the jets and emulsion tubes etc. Checked and reset the float height to the correct 41mm dimension, and followed the Lancia supplement advice on setting up the cold start device unit. Therby resetting fast idle and adjacent screws to the factory spec so that the butterfly chokes are correctly gapped etc. The top strangler valve chockes were a fair way out as well.
It's now back on the engine, all pipe and linked up, and is no better. I wonder if anybody has a diagram showing associated pipework for the vacuum pipes etc. I now need to check this system and whether the thermostatic valve and water circulation side of it actually works.
Also, what does that little brass / red plastic sensor that is bolted to the carb base with a vent pipe sticking out of it do? It is connected to the vacuum advance system and linked to the Thermostatic valve situated above the timing belt. Is it some sort of heat sensor?
Any help or diagrams would be very welcome.
Best,
Chas
(VXdeMAYO).

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
LanciaNut69

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »

Hi Chas

This might help you out a bit - http://www.lancisti.net/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3 - 4th one down, the Volumex supplement.

Cheers

Darren

www.monteservicingandrepair.com
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
VXdeMayo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »

Thanks for that Darren. I have just registered with the Lancisti site, but it does not seem to want to allow me to download the info you mention. I have given all required info etc, so I am a little purplexed?
Prehaps if you can PM email the download to me that would be ok?
Thanks for your help,
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Smiley

LanciaNut69

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »

Hi Chas, will do when next on pc/laptop - no can do with iPhone, but for what it's worth, I can download the file here too?

Cheers

Darren

www.monteservicingandrepair.com
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
VXdeMayo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »

Dear Darren,
I have managed to download the file you suggested. that is a lot of bedtime reading!

Anyway when faced with seemingly enormous task wise man once say: "to eat elephant best start with first mouthful".
Lunchtime approaches!
Best,
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Shocked

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: