Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: beta coupe update  (Read 3480 times)
raz1966

« on: January 31, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »

had a few days working on the car, usual story one step forward 2 steps backwards. managed to get both windows goint up and down for the first time in years, got both door trims on (waited a month for the clips that hold the trim on) but the door check block (plastic bit) broke on the drivers door. got the radio in (old push button 80's one) but it does not work to good (aerial i think). next it was time to fit the new exhaust, i finally got the new middle section after a 8 week wait for it to come from germany, fitting an exhaust with just a trolley jack and stands is a right pain but after much swearing and banging my head a few times i got it on. now the engine starts but seems rough, sounds like its running very rich and sometimes back firing. any ideas? i stripped the carb down and changed the jets to spare ones which looked better, maybe i got them the wrong way round (is that possible), how do i set up/adjust the carb?
and the bloody revcounter has stopped working, any ideas?
once i get the engine sorted i shall tackle the brakes.
roll on summer because its bloody freezing in my barn.

rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »

re the carb if you didn't do it make sure you blow through all the passages and jets with an airline ideally take the carb off and remove jets/mixture setting screw/blow through the smallest particle can cause bad running if that doesn't work maybe a rebuild is needed or it could be ignition issues. I always find colortune a real help (although I'd prefer to find one cheaper than that maybe ebay??) when setting carbs and it will also help indicate if you have a duff cylinder or bad misfire. I think it might be possible to mix up the jets and also did you check the values of the ones you substituted match the originals? If you let me know which precise carb you have I'll check the original jetting values in the tech data for you. Unfortunately I don't know which jet goes in which hole though..........
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:10:24 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
raz1966

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »

door check fitted and door trim fitted, please with the interior, all original and quite good condition, hopefully get the carb off in the week and get that sorted. i keep putting off doing the brakes but the time has come, probably fit new discs/pads all round as these are cheap, are beta saloon/montecarlo discs the same as the coupe as these are very cheap.
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »

as far as I recall monte discs are not the same but all fwd beta are the same, with all Lancia spares tread carefully when buying and double check the specs as many after market listings are not 100% accurate plus sometimes there are variations according to when a car was built. Having said that brakes are fairly straightforward 
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:46:22 PM »

A word of warning... All those Ebay adds for Beta brakes... they say they have them in stock and then after 4 weeks they tell you they don't have any.

I suffered this issue last year, best buy from a reputable place that know what they are doing/talking about.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

A word of warning... All those Ebay adds for Beta brakes... they say they have them in stock and then after 4 weeks they tell you they don't have any.

I suffered this issue last year, best buy from a reputable place that know what they are doing/talking about.

yes another issue as many Beta parts are not in regular manufacture any more, a few of those on ebay just list everything they can find in their suppliers catalogue. I bought a full set of Beta discs recently as, although I don't need them, I suspect they will soon become difficult to source (and I only paid about £50 the set which seemed reasonable) another aspect of lancia parts buying, when it's available buy it for a rainy day!! (no wonder I'm skint) as next year it'll probably be unobtainium 

Alan
raz1966

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »

thanks for the advice chaps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: