Lancia Beta Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:11:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Beta ownership in Australia  (Read 5201 times)
f1fascination

Australia Australia

« on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »

Hi all,I'm in Perth Western Australia and  I've just recently taken the plunge and bought my first true Italian sports car.
Its a '77 Beta 2000 Coupe, with factory-fitted rust. I need help with sourcing panels, so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!
I need a couple of sills and a bootlid to start, and a lot of smaller cosmetic items.
Thanks!

"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »

Welcome F1, sound like you have a little restoration project on your hands.  There are quite a number of Aussie members now :-)

www.Lanciabetaparts.com can help you with the new sills, boot lid may be a bit pricey to ship to Australia but if there is a bundle going over then maybe it's worth it.

All the cosmetic stuff - just post a list of whats needed in the Parts Required section and I'm certain that it can all be found pretty easily and fairly cheaply.

Got any pictures of your Beta ?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
f1fascination

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »

Thanks mate, yeah it's a project alright! I need a combination wiper stalk, or at least the left hand stalk which has gone missing.
The front and rear interior lamp lenses are also both missing, that's all I can think of right now.
Photo's to follow soon....

HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »

Pre facelift stalks can be hard to come by.

There are a couple optimisticaly priced on eBay Italy at the moment but hopefully someone on here will sort you out.

Stuart

(Welcome BTW !)
rossocorsa
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »

No good buying in Italy stalks the wrong way around!
f1fascination

Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 04:10:47 AM »

Thanks for the help guys, it's a bit daunting taking on a full restoration of a rusty 70's Italian sports car, but I'm looking forward to it!
Any help's greatly appreciated, we need to keep these beautiful old classics on the road. Smiley

angelom

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

Hi F1

Angelom from Melb, You will find that most Italian wreckers will want a bomb for parts as they are a bit rare now.
Try Lambda motors in Canberra. he is very good and fair. 0248711900 (graham)

Your about 2yrs too late as there was a beautiful red 79, that needed some front end work in WA that went for a song.

HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »

No good buying in Italy stalks the wrong way around!

They handed the column stalks? Why would they do that?
rossocorsa
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:36:36 PM »

RHD has indicator on right principle (I think) that it is difficult to change gear and indicate at same time LHD has indicator on left. I believe that modern cars all have indicator on left due to international standardisation. Lancia always did a proper conversion to RHD wipers as well as column stalks. Fulvia and flavia also have handed stalks Delta was (I think not 100% sure) first that didn't
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:49:59 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
f1fascination

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 01:52:41 AM »

Some good news, while searching through the box of junk in the boot I found the missing stalk, lower console radio surround and a couple of interior lamp lenses, but still need door lock buttons an surrounds, rear window frames (rotted away!!!), a left hand interior door handle(broken), the list goes on...

LanciaNut69

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »

Hi chaps,

Just to add to the stalk debate, at least on UK spec cars - not sure about the Scorps or LHD Montes, but left side is indicators and lights (side/dip/main) and right side is windscreen wipers. If you can, see if you can get both side by side.  The connectors should be the same - the trick is whether the mounts are different.

Cheers

Darren

www.monteservicingandrepair.com
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
f1fascination

Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »

Thanks to angelom for putting me onto Lambda spares, Graham is helping me with some bits and hopefully more in the future!
Also thanks to Mark here at Betaboyz for being very patient and helpful with me re the sills for the Beta.

betasulo

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »

Hay Mate,

I am from Kalgoorlie and I think you should try F&E Cecchele Motors. It is in Perth and the owner is Frank Cecchele.Phone 93284566. The place is like Aladdin's cave Smiley

Best of luck Sulo
f1fascination

Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:53:47 AM »

Many thanks Sulo, I will try them. Parts seem to be readily available around the world, but freight seems to be quite dear, obviously panels are heavy items so if I can find some stuff locally this would be great.

f1fascination

Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 01:34:57 AM »

Sulo, I visited Cecchele's in Perth and it is indeed a treasure trove of parts, but I got the impression that old Frank wasn't interested in helping me. He instructed me to "go away, and come back with a list, but not a list of what I wish for, just what I need"
I asked him on the availability of a boot lid, and he replied "yes, maybe 4 or 5 hundred dollars"
I was pretty disheartened by the whole experience, especially seeing rows and rows of parts hanging from the rafters, I'm sure he had everything I could possibly need for my Beta but maybe I just got him on a bad day.
I know it's an old car that will be expensive to restore, but if someone doesn't buy those bits of him, they will probably sit there and gather more dust, like the HPE, Fiat Dino and Alfa Montreal in the back of his workshop.
Graham from Lambda Motors in NSW has so far been quite helpful with finding the important bits I need to get underway, (i.e a LH floor which he is kindly going to chop out of a wrecked HPE for me, rear window frames, etc) and Mark from BetaBoyz is supplying some sills which is great.
Where are you sourcing parts from for your Coupe?
Have you had much luck locally?

MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »

Holy cr*p! - $400 - $500 Aus dollars for a bootlid. Shocked Shocked Shocked

For that money it would still be cheaper to buy one from Europe and ship it - I know it takes 6 - 8 weeks to get there but if you are not in a huge rush then it would be worth considering.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
f1fascination

Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »

Thanks Matt, I know! It was heartbreaking to see all those parts hanging from the rafters and those absolutely gorgeous cars (Beta HPE on flat tyres, probably sitting there for 20 years, Fiat Dino Coupe, Alfa Montreal, Lamborghini Espada, etc etc) sitting under an inch of dust wasting away. Sad

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: