Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:25:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Beta!!!  (Read 2982 times)
sainthaloblue

« on: January 13, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »

Hey everybody my name is Jorge I have just reacently bought a 79 Lancia Beta coupe I really dont know much about
this car. first carbureted car I have owed, is there any pointers or advice anybody has for me??

The car runs poorly and has exhaust & vacuum leaks! also wiring issues!
Does anybody know were I can get wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams, 34 DMTR21-2009E carburator diagrams.

This is my first project restoration and ive never worked on carbureted cars.

I would really appriciate any help and advice.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »

Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your first Beta!   As you have a 34 DMTR it must be a 2000cc car.. correct? Making your car a Series 2 Face Lift

My first advice would be get hold of the Owners manual, there should be wiring diagrams in there, if not then try a Haynes manual.  I would say that both are not always 100% accurate.

Alternatively post your issue in the electrical section - bad earths are likely to be the cause of most of your issues but I would recommend breaking it down into small sections i.e. Indicators not working, then another thread on rear lights not working etc.  If you try to do it all at once it will get confusing very quickly.

If you have poor running issues post something in the engine section but people are likely to suggest setting the timing to ensure its correct, maybe replace the mechanical fuel pump and then a full service.  If things are still not right after that then you may need to overhaul the carb.  (Kits are available to do this) or replace fuel pipes.

Any pictures of your car & where are you located?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:59:50 PM by MattNoVAT » Logged

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »

Welcome Jorge,

Poor running can be down to any number of issues or very possibly a combination of them.

Exhaust leaks are not going to cause much of a problem but vacuum leaks will mess up carburation and timing. Before attacking the carb though I'd suggest a basic service to make sure everything is ok. Plugs, plug & coil leads, distributor cap rotor arm
should all be checked and replaced if there's any doubt about them. Plugs & leads I'd suggest renewing as a matter of course.

If you can post up a description of the problem that will help too - for instance is it poor idling, poor starting lack or power big flat spot(hesitancy) etc?

A few pics in the gallery or in this thread would be great too.

Stuart
sainthaloblue

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »

Hi Jorge,

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your first Beta!   As you have a 34 DMTR it must be a 2000cc car.. correct? Making your car a Series 2 Face Lift

My first advice would be get hold of the Owners manual, there should be wiring diagrams in there, if not then try a Haynes manual.  I would say that both are not always 100% accurate.

Alternatively post your issue in the electrical section - bad earths are likely to be the cause of most of your issues but I would recommend breaking it down into small sections i.e. Indicators not working, then another thread on rear lights not working etc.  If you try to do it all at once it will get confusing very quickly.

If you have poor running issues post something in the engine section but people are likely to suggest setting the timing to ensure its correct, maybe replace the mechanical fuel pump and then a full service.  If things are still not right after that then you may need to overhaul the carb.  (Kits are available to do this) or replace fuel pipes.

Any pictures of your car & where are you located?

Thank you & yes it is a 2.0L I am located in Houston Texas USA, I will try to post pics soon.
sainthaloblue

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »

Welcome Jorge,

Poor running can be down to any number of issues or very possibly a combination of them.

Exhaust leaks are not going to cause much of a problem but vacuum leaks will mess up carburation and timing. Before attacking the carb though I'd suggest a basic service to make sure everything is ok. Plugs, plug & coil leads, distributor cap rotor arm
should all be checked and replaced if there's any doubt about them. Plugs & leads I'd suggest renewing as a matter of course.

If you can post up a description of the problem that will help too - for instance is it poor idling, poor starting lack or power big flat spot(hesitancy) etc?

A few pics in the gallery or in this thread would be great too.

Stuart

Well as far as the running issue since im not to familiar with carburetor engines or ever seen a good running 2.0l beta engine im not sure how it should be running but it just has lack of power at takeoff & sometimes it just boggs down when i try to run it hard at high rpms it boggs down it does have vacuum leaks but im trying to find a vacuum diagram or emissions diagram to make sure all lines are were there supposed to be.   
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »

The north American versions of the beta have their own bunch of quirks if you haven't already you'd be wise to join lancisti.net where you'll find more American owners
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:37:56 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »

But rest assured there the majority of the car is common to Euro vs North American versions.

So either forum will be able to assist you.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »

sorry hadn't meant it to raed like 'don't come on here' !! It's just that engine wise the North American models are a bit of a law unto themselves especially the 1979 model year, perhaps there should be a section for North american version peculiarities such as emission gear etc. ??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: