Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Twin 40s and cold idling  (Read 3374 times)
Hawk

England England

« on: January 05, 2012, 01:41:45 PM »

Is there a trick to getting my Spider to idle when its cold.  When warmed up, idle is perfect. 

A couple of kicks of the loud pedal sees her start up every time but getting her to idle when cold is almost impossible.  I'm contemplating adding a choke cable but wondered if there was a trick to it.

Any ideas?

HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »

With twin 40s the accepted method is an occasional stab at the throttle to stop the engine reverting to inactivity.

If you add a choke cable I'd be inclined to set it up more like a hand throttle so you can set a fast idle  - in fact if your car is S1 or pre F/L you have provision for a hand throttle cable - don't know about F/L and later.
Hawk

England England

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »

Thanks for that

I'm used to motorbikes with flatslide carbs that don't like to be touched at all when cold - although I solved this on the race bike by setting the idle speed to 3k! 

I'll try giving the loud pedal anoccassional poke and see how I go.

Mines a 1979 btw and I don't think there is a provision for a hand throttle cable?
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:28:03 PM »

Probably a Series 2 Facelift (F/L) model then.

I suspect the mount is still there on the throttle pedal. See if there's a mounting hole at the very top of the throttle pedal  - you might be able to rig something up.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

I think the hand throttle and the recess for it disappeared with the brown plastic dash with the S2 F/L.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »

I'm sure it did - but was there an hole in the dash for the choke?
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »

Do not be tempted to connect the cold start devices on your Webers as this is not like a conventional choke it pours fuel in for a rich start and 2 pumps of throttle make them redundant. The danger of bore washing your oil away is too high with these bits connected. The hand throttle is a good idea although DCOE's are really race carbs and have never been great until warm tending to spit until the engine is warmed up.

Eric   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: