Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:27:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: grooved or not?  (Read 3139 times)
rodney3010

« on: September 27, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »

What are the opinions on the merits of grooved discs versus the originals? I know that the purpose of the grooves is to remove brake dust and keep the discs cool under heavy use and therefore reduce brake fade. However, I can pick up solid discs at circa £30 and grooved for circa £90 which is one helluva difference. Question is therefore are the better discs really that necessary under normal driving conditions (or even with a bit of spirited driving after a carb upgrade)?
Rodders
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »

in road use I don't think that grooved or drilled discs have much benefit certainly the braking isn't really improved, one advantage though is that the grooves will tend to disperse crap that may otherwise cause scoring of the disc. Overall though I suspect it is mainly a very profitable add on for retailers  

I fitted grooved discs (EBC) on our TF but I can't say that the braking is any better the brand and specification of brake pads seems more significant
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:57:18 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »

I agree with Rossa Corsa completely disc quality is the real criteria and sometimes the best have grooves. Beware drilled as this can lead to cracking.

Eric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: