Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:39:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Carb spitting  (Read 5963 times)
cheeky monkey

« on: August 21, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »

I wasn’t getting much fuel to the mechanical pump with next to nothing after that point so  tried another pump and got the same result.

Fuel tank has now been cleaned out and I found a space for another inline filter at the rear end. The mesh on the pick up pipe was damaged anyway so got rid of that. After sucking through the line to bring fuel through to the pump, all pipes were reconnected and a good amount of fuel now passes up through the filter on its way to the carb when attempting to fire up, but I just get some fuel being spat out intermittantly from the carb barrels.  Theres definitely the urge for it to want to start up.

The carb itself was cleaned out not that long ago following lack of power and flat spot issues so the fuel tank check was on my to do list already as part of an all round clean up.. All pipes have been checked and new filters and fresh fuel in the tank.  On the ignition side virtually everything has been replaced in recent times .
Im now having doubts that I changed the pump diaphragm when the carb was out so I will check that.  Apart from that im thinking I maybe didn’t clean the carb out that well or ive been unfortunate and drawn some dirt in afterwards or the float level is wrong? . .
The  batterys on charge today so will turn my attention to some small cosmetic jobs that i can do without breaking anything!

Any ideas much appreciated ☺

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
JoeBeta

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

If you have had work done on the ignition side,  this sounds like the Timing needs adjusting.
Have you tried turning the distributer slightly to see if this makes a difference???
Would only need moving a small amount each time?
cheers

Joe
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »

Sorry to say this, but do a compression test in case the fuel starvation has caused  engine damage. Just incase you do not know ideally hot with wide open throttle, but cold will tell you if there is a significant issue.

Eric 
cheeky monkey

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »

Thanks Joe, Eric
I'll do that.
Only other thing i saw tonight was a little verticle movement in the distributor camshaft. Only a few mm's and no side to side movement, but there are tiny filings of metal on the magnetic part of the new hall pick up it fitted. Its like the face/contact point of the pick up has worn the edges of the camshaft. The pickup itself is firmly held by 2 screws so i cant see how thats happening. Another thing I need to revisit tomorrow.

cheers
G

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
cheeky monkey

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »

Hi

I seem to be getting somewhere after revisiting and redoing all earlier checks. Now i see the vacuum advance is failing. I havnt disconnected it from the carb yet but has anyone successfully pried one of these apart before.?. It looks like its not meant to be opened up but im assuming theres a broken diaphragm in there that i might be able to repair/ make up myself, or is a replacement unit the best option and are they available.?. It looks like the attached photo,( if not quite as clean).   

cheers!
Graham

* vacuum advance.jpg (32.23 KB, 288x186 - viewed 519 times.)

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »

Graham

Not a DIY fix in my opinion. Try H&H distributors as they carry many obscure parts or ask Mark W if he has re-made the distributors with a Vacuum advance.

Eric
cheeky monkey

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »

Ive got the vacuum advance on order. next week l hope to get an oil seal from somewhere too. thanks for the lead Eric.

I'm going to remove the extra filter i fitted after the tank and put some some fine brass gauze over the pick up pipe in the tank. im not convinced a mechanical fuel pump can deal with that extra filter.

cheers
Graham

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »

Graham - I think the bottom line with mechanical pumps is that they are fine once you get going. The problem I find is that if the car has stood and the fuel in the float chamber has evaporated off the pump struggles to prime the carb just on the starter. It seems that Fulvia owners now fit an additional electric pump to overcome the same problem on their cars almost as standard. Once the car is revving I've never had a problem with the mechanical pump. As posted before any air leaks in the fuel line after the pump are also a killer. A tiny crack in an inline filter leaking no fuel whatsoever doubled my cold starting time.
cheeky monkey

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »

I'll bear all that in mind Neil... thanks.  When I get the car in a state where i can take it for a proper test run i'll see how it goes.

Graham

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
cheeky monkey

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »

Hi
didnt manage to locate a separate vacuum advance in the end but H&H Ignition are confident they can repair it so its off to Dudley to get that done

G

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
cheeky monkey

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

the vacuum advance is fixed and with some re-timing i think i'm there.

After a test drive all is good except 5th gear has proved difficult to engage so thats the next job to look at

G

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: