Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:51:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volumex clutch squeal  (Read 1826 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: December 11, 2008, 12:16:23 AM »

From: Kiwifan0  (Original Message)   Sent: 19/06/2008 06:51

Hi, today my clutch, when depressed has started squealing. The thrust bearing when the car is at standstil is not noisy (maybe a slight noise,but not what I would call noisy), but when the car is under acceleration and when the clutch is depressed ,it squeals - sort of real loud!!!. However when the car is deaccelerating, the clutch squeal is minimal.
I have been advised that this may be that the pinion oil seal cover missing. Is this the case?
I have very recently had both the timing belt and the supercharger belts replaced, together with the steering rack boots. Could any disturbance have occurred with these replacements.

Look forward to your answers.
PS I am a newbie from NZ. Will upload a picture of my car and plate numbers when I get more time.
Thanks in anticipation
Cheers Bruce

You can get the information and assistance you require for this problem from Maurice Thomson at Maurice Thomson Motors, Te Awamutu phone 07 8717311.

Hello Bruce.

A shrieking/squealing noise when the clutch is depressed is usually the release bearing - you may even feel it resonating through the clutch pedal.
You mention having the belts changed - in that case have the crank checked for end-float, seen this a few times.
It's not the fault of the mechanics - so don't blame them!
Its your mention of, quote;
" when the car is under acceleration and when the clutch is depressed ,it squeals - sort of real loud!!!."
That has me worried!
This is the reason i would check for end-float.

Pinion seal missing? have you checked your gearbox oil level via the dipstick?
If empty top it up and if the seal "is" missing, i am sure you will notice an oil leak.
Trouble is once you have a squealing noise, "damage has been done" just hope none has happened to your car.

By the way keep us posted on what the actual cause is, because most people go quiet once the problem is sorted - would come in handy for anybody with a similar problem .
How many of you have "Googled" a problem only for the thread to stop short of the conclusion - most annoying.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: