Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:46:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sunroof drain tubes  (Read 8240 times)
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 22, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »

Hi all,

I've just done a search of the forum but I didn't come across the answer to this- where are the sunroof drain tubes meant to exit? I have no visible pipe ends under the car... Huh?
Also- how many drains are there? Two at the front yes but are there any to the rear? If so where are they?

Thanks!
Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »

the two at the front exit into the front of the sill perhaps you noticed the corresponding large rust hole! Brilliant piece of design!! It is best to pull them through the hole in the end of the sill and pass the end between the arch liner and arch so they drain to the floor instead. I must admit it has never occured to me as to where the rear drains are
millieman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:34:24 PM »

Hi, rears come out below back of rear wheelarches.
spud

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »

the two at the front exit into the front of the sill perhaps you noticed the corresponding large rust hole! Brilliant piece of design!!

Actually there's no rust anywhere on my car... Cheesy the previous owner spent 6 months wages on it to make sure... Shocked Grin

So, do I understand this correctly...? They exit inside the sill...Huh?

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »

the two at the front exit into the front of the sill perhaps you noticed the corresponding large rust hole! Brilliant piece of design!!

Actually there's no rust anywhere on my car... Cheesy the previous owner spent 6 months wages on it to make sure... Shocked Grin

So, do I understand this correctly...? They exit inside the sill...Huh?

Andrew.

yes(!!)
spud

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 04:19:24 PM »

Hmmm... Have you heard the one about the Englishman, Scotsman and the Italian...? Roll Eyes Grin

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
spud

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:00:07 PM »

Right, I've located the tubes and discovered that the driver's side is blocked. I've been poking it with a long piece of mains electrical earth wire which is strong yet flexible and the ideal thickness to go down the tube from the hole in the sunroof aperture but it felt as though it was coming up against a brick wall... I then decided to remove the tube to investigate further. Sun visor removed, headlining peeled back to reveal the drain tube, a good tug from the bottom of the tube and it came off. Immersed in very hot water and repeated flexing/poking and it's now flowing freely.

Next job is to refit the tube and extend it at the bottom so that it exits the sill underneath, where it always should have done... Huh?
This may involve drilling a hole directly under the present location of the end of the tube- common sense dictates the more direct the route the easier it will be to keep clear from blockages. I'm amazed my car has no rust here and no repairs to the sills anywhere... Cheesy

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »

take the liner out and I think you should be able to see the hole at the end of the sill which is covered by the front wing, you shouild be able to route the tube through this and down to the ground behind the liner

spud

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »

Aha! I'll check that out, thank you. By the way, we have the same welder... Smiley

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »

I hope that you can reach it without taking the wing off as I'm not sure. Hooking the tube through the hole is awkward but it will save putting extra holes in the sill.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »

Can you not see or access the bottom of the tube via the hole for the speakers in the footwell?

It's been a while, I'll admit.... but I'm sure I've seen the drain tube when fitting/removing speakers.  Is there anywhere it can be routed from there?

I have to do this with my passenger side drain tube as recently that became blocked, I'm thinking of replacing the whole tube with a longer version and route it appropriately as on my red coupe only the drivers side has been routed so that it does not drain into the sill.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
spud

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »

Can you not see or access the bottom of the tube via the hole for the speakers in the footwell?
Yes, you can.

I'm thinking of replacing the whole tube with a longer version and route it appropriately as on my red coupe only the drivers side has been routed so that it does not drain into the sill.
That's the plan exactly.

Rossocorsa, I've found the hole you described just by removing the plastic arch liner as you suggested. It should indeed be possible to fit a longer hose and route it through there and out behind the liner. I will make it long enough so that it points rearwards under the car to prevent it getting easily blocked. I'll post pics when I've done it.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: