Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:40:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Indicators Fast Flashing issue  (Read 27640 times)
piacevole1300

« on: June 12, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the 1300's are very few and far between.  So it's good to see another on the road, especially as 2012 is the 40th anniversary of the Beta.

As for the problems you mentioned.  
There is a mixture adjustment on the carb but you'd have to confirm which carb is fitted before we can say for sure where it's located.  Is it weber or solex etc.

I'd get the car fully serviced and full of fresh premium fuel first before adjusting anything.

The indicators flashing fast is usually a bad earth, especially as the cars not been used regularly.  Are all the indicators flashing? The front earth points are located by each headlight. They are round and will have about 8 black wires attached.  Clean those connections!   Rear earth is behind the carpet on the rear panel on passenger side, again round with multiple wires. Start with the earths before replacing anything.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Matt

Ah yeah, if the timing is good I may join the plan about the Europe tour as I have studies and don't know how she will be feeling next year!

She has the Weber 32 DMTR carb which to my confusion the Haynes manual does not cover, it has the 34 DMTR Which seems to be different; either that or I am thick! (probably the latter)

I will do a full service of the car myself with new sparks, filters and oil both in the gearbox and the engine. Since the car needs its Manx MOT I will have to bring fuel to it in Jerry cans Tongue

If there was a bad earth wouldn't that mean the rest of the front lights would go koo koo as they are on the same disk? well i'll give them all a good clean and put a bit of copper grease on each of the connections as I just had a look and it does look like someone has splashed a bit of rust proof paint on it!

Ok I have a bit of work ahead of me, thanks Matt  Grin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:32:42 PM by piacevole1300 » Logged
piacevole1300

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »

If all indicators are flashing and the relay is shot then you'll find the relay attached to the bulkhead by the steering column, get ready to contort yourself!!

Fingers crossed it's just bad earths.

All the indicators are flashing, all at the same speed which led me to believe the relay. Oh lord I am crossing both my fingers and toes it is not that, don't feel like playing Twister inside a car  Roll Eyes
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »

Sadly it's twister time then!

Part of the fun is going to be finding another relay.

When you tried to save the other Beta did you get a chance to salvage any spares before it was weighed in?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
piacevole1300

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »

Sadly it's twister time then!

Part of the fun is going to be finding another relay.

When you tried to save the other Beta did you get a chance to salvage any spares before it was weighed in?
Haha, I was never good at Twister  Undecided

I know, this is going to be the hard part because most people enjoy having indicators in there Beta and I don't think anyone will be forgiving to give me one  Embarrassed

I went to the scrap yard and inquired them about the Beta, I was only able to look but if I wanted to take anything I had to pay £50!!! they would not allow me to take the full car either  Cry All I could do was ninja the ashtrays and a couple of other things that wasn't glued down. I wasn't prepared to pay £50 for a relay  Undecided I walked away swearing like a trooper under my breath as I walked away from the car with only a few bits and bobs in my pocket.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »

Post something up in the wanted section, you be amazed at what some of us have tucked away in our sheds/garages.

I could well have one but I'm 4000 miles from home away on business at the moment so can't look in my garage until after 18th June. Sad

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
piacevole1300

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 01:33:28 PM »

Post something up in the wanted section, you be amazed at what some of us have tucked away in our sheds/garages.

I could well have one but I'm 4000 miles from home away on business at the moment so can't look in my garage until after 18th June. Sad
Haha, I hope I do get one then she is ready for her MOT it is so, so strict over here I mean you can be failed for a indicator not being orange enough it is that bad. thankfully its only once in its lifetime it has to go through.

Hopefully I will get a response to my plea!
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »

It's the same on the mainland!  I have had the same experience with the indicator bulbs.

You should try MOT'ing a car in N.Ireland..... If you car is dirty underneath and the inspector cannot see condition of say ball joints, track rods etc etc ..... thats a FAIL !

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
JoeBeta

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »

I had the same fast flashing indicators on  my coupe, (BUT the Hazard lights always worked OK)

Had the flasher unit off and clean several times, would be OK for a few days but would revert.

Mine was a bad connection in the column stalk switch, I just sprayed some (well lots) of electrical contact cleaner into the stalk mechanism and worked the switch.   

This has cured the problem so far.

cheers

Joe
piacevole1300

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »

It's the same on the mainland!  I have had the same experience with the indicator bulbs.

You should try MOT'ing a car in N.Ireland..... If you car is dirty underneath and the inspector cannot see condition of say ball joints, track rods etc etc ..... thats a FAIL !
Bloody hell, do they have to take it every year? We're lucky we only have to take it once if you keep the Tax up and get an automatic pass if its under 6 years old.
piacevole1300

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »

I had the same fast flashing indicators on  my coupe, (BUT the Hazard lights always worked OK)

Had the flasher unit off and clean several times, would be OK for a few days but would revert.

Mine was a bad connection in the column stalk switch, I just sprayed some (well lots) of electrical contact cleaner into the stalk mechanism and worked the switch.   

This has cured the problem so far.

cheers

Joe

Ah well that could be a cheap alternative and the best place to start before buying things. I mean it has sat for a long time in a garage. Thanks Joe!
cheeky monkey

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »

Hi

leaving out the pale blue connector in the relay under the dash solved problem for me (so far) - means no handbrake warning light but thats ok.

Graham

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
hutch6610

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »

Hello piacevole1300.
If i may stick my big nose in?
Could you tell me what sort of indicator unit you have and what it controls exactly - i get the impression its the early type, possibly made by Italamec (measures 50mm x 33mm x 38mm approx) controls both HANDBRAKE warning light + Indicators?

There is a very simple fix IF its not too far gone if your symptoms are as follows;
Indicators will flash normally for a few seconds - and then they go ape?

Just post back if it is as there is no harm in having a fiddle with the old unit.

Hutch
piacevole1300

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »

Hello piacevole1300.
Could you tell me what sort of indicator unit you have and what it controls exactly - i get the impression its the early type, possibly made by Italamec (measures 50mm x 33mm x 38mm approx) controls both HANDBRAKE warning light + Indicators?

There is a very simple fix IF its not too far gone if your symptoms are as follows;

Just post back if it is as there is no harm in having a fiddle with the old unit.

Hutch
I am yet to delve into the indicator unit but tomorrow I shall venture forth and bring you the exact details of the unit but my best guess is that it does control the the handbrake warning light and indicators but with the make and sizes I'll get them tomorrow.

Yeah just a slow flash on the dials for 2 seconds then all hell breaks loose with the handbrake going nuts with the indicators following suit.
cheeky monkey

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »

Hello piacevole1300.

Hutch

Hutch6610, just remembered that you'd suggested a soldering solution before for the italmec unit (bridging the reed switch) which of course i still havnt got round to doing
G

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
hutch6610

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:41:24 AM »

Hutch6610, just remembered that you'd suggested a soldering solution before for the italmec unit (bridging the reed switch) which of course i still havnt got round to doing
G
Yup Graham that's the fix, makes no odds what make the flasher unit is so long as its the early type with five pins - just open her up (four screws) and bridge the reed switch (the glass thingy) you don't even have to solder it, just wrap some fuse wire to bridge and it should work.

Only mentioned Italamec as i have one next to my PC (i know ... sad git) and i am sure that there are a couple of different makes available - or should i say were available.

I used to have quite a few of these units but they usually all go ape eventually.

The fix/bodge has always worked for me in the past piacevole1300, hope it works for you.
piacevole1300

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »

G
Yup Graham that's the fix, makes no odds what make the flasher unit is so long as its the early type with five pins - just open her up (four screws) and bridge the reed switch (the glass thingy) you don't even have to solder it, just wrap some fuse wire to bridge and it should work.

Only mentioned Italamec as i have one next to my PC (i know ... sad git) and i am sure that there are a couple of different makes available - or should i say were available.

I used to have quite a few of these units but they usually all go ape eventually.

The fix/bodge has always worked for me in the past piacevole1300, hope it works for you.
Hi Hutch I have opened it up and was wondering do I bridge from the top of the reed switch to the bottom because I can't see where to solder for the bottom. Thankyou!
piacevole1300

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »

Ok scratch the last bit I've done it! And by the looks of things it's worked!! Grin I was going to do a photo step by step but I got up to the point of taking it apart and then I forgot to take more photos.  Undecided Roll Eyes Thanks alot Hutch, you have saved me a lot of trouble with that tip! Oh and also does anyone elses flash slower than the after video, that would be a great help thankyou!

Here are the before and after in video form:

Before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuAvHJTNDvI

After:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVc6BscDNKU
hutch6610

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »

Hmm, it still looks too fast to me, you sure its a before and after video?
At least i can see the lights going on and off, normally its a blur as if you have a bad earth.
It should be going on and off just like a modern car - your unit looks like its too far gone but it should be OK for an MOT.
You did put a piece of wire to bypass the reed switch ... right?
hutch6610

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »

OK, have watched it again and it is a little better - either that or its just wishful thinking.
But it should be slower in my opinion, when the flasher unit goes duff it sounds more like a very fast ticking clock and when its bypassed/bridged its a night and day transformation.
You checked all your bulbs are the right wattage?

Oh and what make was the unit by the way?
piacevole1300

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

OK, have watched it again and it is a little better - either that or its just wishful thinking.
But it should be slower in my opinion, when the flasher unit goes duff it sounds more like a very fast ticking clock and when its bypassed/bridged its a night and day transformation.
You checked all your bulbs are the right wattage?

Oh and what make was the unit by the way?
Yeah its not as fast, its very noticible in person viewing the car but still it is much faster compared to the 4x4. Where do you bridge it from? I bridged it from the metal piece on one side to the top of the reed switch is that correct? Yeah all the bulbs are working and are the right wattage as I changed them following the manual's wattage.

The unit is Italmec.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: