Lancia Beta Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:52:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full body kits and engine works,  (Read 1984 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:25:15 PM »

From: jazzygeoffSA  (Original Message)   Sent: 08/12/2007 09:51

Hey guys,

Well this has been a project and a half. My Gran (lol) bought this car bran new in 82, anyway it's just had it's body worked. We stripped it down had quite a lot of small dings and scratches but no rust : ) My panel beaters made up a custom set of bumper, those dodgy crome ones just didn't cut it.

The interior and engine are next. My Mechanic and funny enough the same guy who actually sold us the car has just crashed his 2L volumex. So I'm buying his engine and gearbox to convert from the 1600. So now while the engine is out I wanna get some work done. High lift cams, gas flow the head, lighten the flywheel, and I've been thinking about changing the bearings (not to sure if it'll be worth it $/HP wise tho).

So just wanna get some feedback if anyone has done any work to the volumex and what sorta power can be expected?

Geoff

VX engines are getting scarce, so whilst you can upgrade them to some extent, the mindset of what you could do 10/15 years ago, to what you *should* do now is slightly different.

Back then, if you blew the engine, it was comparatively easy to get a replacement for very little money, now secondhand superchargers are £ 500+ (plus rebuild costs) so sacrificing reliability for the last 10hp isn't a cost effective option for many.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I know this has been a worry of mine, mind you I live in South Africa and parts here for the Beta are definatly a lot cheaper than in europe. (Second hand at least) I have been offered the entire engine, gearbox & installitaion + all necissary stripping for tunning for about 700 Pounds.

But this in really no excuse to do any unwanted damaged or loose any relaibility. So if you dont mind me asking, what would you recomend? I was also thinking about changing the gear ratio on the volumex, but I think you may disagree : ).

Thanks again.

Try GuyCroft.com. He's the guru and knows his stuff but he's well pricey.
try fitting the std 2.0 VX engine and box first. it is a major
step up from the 1600. also you will need the VX suspension,
power steering rack, radiator, fuel tank. it is not as straight
forward as you think and also brakes.
best of luck you will need it.
bettacoop

First things first - make sure your engine is sound and now you have the opportunity while the engine is removed.
At about 75000-80000 miles big ends and main bearings tend to wear down to the copper on the tri-metallic bearings.
You may as well change them - if you can get a set, Guy Croft claims they are unavailable, so where HE gets them from is anybodies guess.
Once you have all the bottom end sound get yourself a sump baffle kit (Betaboyz can supply if you have no home grown alternatives) That way it stays sound especially if you drive like a lunatic around bends.
Your "value for money" mods are;
1. Gas flowing of the head and inlet manifold.
2. A custom exhaust header - large bore as to Guy Crofts specs - you could probably have one made in the US to the same specs and save a bit of money + large bore all the way through with off the shelf high flow "Resonators" i think they call them in the USA.
3. A DCOE 40 or 45 conversion with suitable inlet manifold (No choice buy Guy Croft).
Check out;
http://www.rothbauer.us/
Very useful when it comes to specifications.

I know someone who is making a bodykit for their own Beta.  Not sure if they're going to take proper moulds to market it or if they just want it to be a one-off for themselves.

Do you have any bodykit in mind?

Hi just finished my grp 4 beta project see my new beta project in the pictures i got the body kit from guy moerenhout racing

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: